Hen humping hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by E-Chick, May 11, 2009.

1. E-Chick

E-Chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Ramona
    [I apologize in advance if this is a beaten to death topic. Upon searching "hen humping hen", I was given the search alternative of "men humping men"...yikes! [​IMG] I didn't want to GO there!]

I witnessed one of my laying hens (yes, she is female) "humping" another hen ala rooster style. She performed exactly like the rooster does, except, I don't expect THAT egg to be fertilized, ha ha!

While she was doing so, the rooster jumped on top of both hens and did HIS thing. Gee Manelli! What is going on here!!!???

Maybe I have French chickens, [​IMG]! J/K.

Is this a dominant behavior? Or??? [​IMG]

2. E-Chick

E-Chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Ramona
    No responses??? [​IMG]

Is this some secret, not talked about topic???

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    What cha feedin' them hens?? [​IMG]

Probably a dominance thing - I've seen young chickens do this before they reach laying age but not my adult hens.

4. jonathansenn

jonathansenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    East Dublin, GA
    I have heard that sometimes hens will show roo traits if the roo isn't up to the job. Of course, if the roo jumped the two hens you may have a movie or flick on your hands. [​IMG]

I don't know what you'd call it, but I bet it would be back in the little room in the corner of the video store. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by