Hen hurt BADLY....might need to be put out of misery?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shannonb1, Dec 13, 2010.

1. shannonb1

shannonb1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2009
    Sorry, couldn't find my original post.

Thanks to everyone who suggested to not be too hasty in culling her. Yesterday I went out and she was standing.

Whew....but still not eating. Drinking very well.

How long can she go without eating. I will try some scrambled eggs again tonight.

Thank you.

Shannon

2. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    She can go for a few days without eating. I had a roo that got attacked and he didn't eat for about a week. (At least not much more than a little peck of mash). I bought the pedialyte (for kids with diarrhea) unflavored but full of electrolytes for him to drink. I had to give it to him from a spoon for the first couple of days. After about a week he started eating the mash on his own. And within a month he was back to normal. So as long as she's getting water she can last for quite a while.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What happened to your hen?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Well, people can only go for a few days without water, but at least a month without food, probably longer.

Scrambled eggs are good, but you might try a more liquid food, like well watered down feed, soupy oatmeal, milk added to whatever you have around, maybe warmed a bit. Since he's drinking it might help him ease back into eating.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    About your lost post:

In the lower left hand corner you can click on "subscribe to this topic" when you are posting. Then, anytime you are in a list of threads, there will be a "show your subscribed topics" in the lower left hand corner that you can click on. I often subscribe to a thread when I want to see others' answers or when I ask a question and expect an answer I may need to reply to.

6. shannonb1

shannonb1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2009
    ddawn, thanks for that info on "subscribe". : )

Miss lydia, something had attacked her - she got left outside and I looked and looked, but couldn't find her in the dark. : (

I checked on her at lunch today and she was very perky...bright eyed, and standing......in a different part of the kennel - so she had to have walked or limped over there.

Fingers are crossed.

I will get some soupy oatmeal into her tonight. She drinks very very well.

Thanks everyone!

Shannon

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hope she recovers quickly!

8. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by