Hen hurt by dog, crazy-glued back together, and I have a question...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TeeDubs, Nov 20, 2011.

1. TeeDubs

TeeDubs New Egg

Jul 6, 2011
    One of our girls got attacked by a dog and was ripped open pretty bad. A friend of ours, who is a midwife and a nurse, came over and lovingly cleaned out the wound and then crazy-glued her back together. I kept her inside and cared for her wound, keeping it clean and applying natural antibiotics as well as herbal cell-builders. She has been doing fantastic! Well, I did let her out the other day, only during the day, to peck and be with her friends. (I have three birds total.) I noticed that there was a pretty large scab, which made it very difficult to see what was going on underneath the scab. I hoped and assumed that all was well...
    Well, last night I got her out to do a nice cleaning when I noticed that her skin looked pulled apart, and the scab was inside a nickel-sized hole. [​IMG] I don't know what to do! There is no bleeding, no pus or infection, but I fear that the skin will not grow back together with that pretty giant scab there! Should I try to soften the scab to allow the skin to grow together? I should mention that when we glued her up, it did seem that some skin was missing, and when we got to the end of the process, there was quite a hole which we had to kind of fudge to get to stay together.
    Anyone have any experience with this? I am worried about my girl.
    Thank you,
    Tara in Oregon

2. Americana

Americana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Dunnellon, Florida
    Quote:When I first started with chickens I put a younger one with my established flock(Before I knew better)
    When I came out the next day, he was hiding in a corner. The other chickens had totally picked all of the feathers, skin etc from his head and neck- I mean down to the muscle. I couldn't believe he was alive!
    ( I never made that mistake again!)
    He survived and his skin and almost all of the feathers grew back. All I did was put him in a cage and put Nitrofurizone on every day. I could not believe his recovery!
    She should be fine [​IMG]

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I'm sure you'll get other advice...but, as long as there's no blood/pus, I'd coat the area with an antibiotic ointment (no "caine" in it) daily. Do you have some Blue Kote? That might be an even better idea - that way it has antiseptic on it and no one will peck at it. One of my hens was attacked two days ago by my mother's visiting poodle. She'd been around them before and never even looked at them - so I'm not sure why now. Anyway, my white hen is now 1/3 purple! She had a lot of feathers ripped out. I feel so badly for them when this happens!

4. Americana

Americana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Dunnellon, Florida
    Quote:Blue Kote works great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by