1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen Hurt By Hawk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Just_Clucky84, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Just_Clucky84

Just_Clucky84 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Boston, MA
    One of my sweet Barred Rock hen's was attacked right in front of me today by a hawk. The poor girl has a gash on her bottom and is missing some feathers. I have her resting comfortably on some hay in a cat carrier inside the house. It seems like the bleeding has stopped and I cleaned it with a damp cloth. What should I put on the wound to keep it from becoming infected? Luckily she's looking around and can walk. I love my little girl and I'm so worried about her. [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Our EE roo was attacked yesterday. He lived but was a little bloody. Put some neosporin on the wounds. She'll do OK.

3. Just_Clucky84

Just_Clucky84 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Thank you!

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    If the wound isn't too deep, clean it with some saline solution or warm water and then put neosporin on it, or Blu-Kote if you have it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by