Hen imitating a rooster?

Lobzi

Crowing
14 Years
May 6, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area, EB
Has anyone ever had a hen try and cock-a-doodle-do in a hen's"voice." Chickie doesnt really sound like Roo but when he is crow and they are separated, she tries to call or answer him by crowing too.

Does this sound like familiar hen behavior to anyone?

Our 9 week Araucuna let out a few 'crows' for a few days then stopped.
First we thought she was a he. Now, we think she heard us talking about 'if it crows, it goes' and she's keeping quiet.
smile.png

Chickie did another Roo imitation: She found a worm and did the cluck cluck (I found something good to eat) thing that Roo always does. I think it is so cute. I am raising her alone with only Roo for company. I guess she is doing the best she can to become the only chicken she knows!!!

A few months ago 3 of my 4 bantam hens were brooding and the lone female was left with the rooster. One day while I was in the yard, I saw her crow and I thought "ut-oh, she must be going through The Change" but after an occasional crow over a weeks time, she stopped and I haven't heard her do it again.

It's happened to all of my flocks. When there isn't a dominant male to keep the order of the flock the most dominant "she-male" will take the role of the rooster which is the cause of the cockadoodledooing. Sometimes the female will even start trying to inseminate the other chickens which I trust you is not a pleasent sight.
lol.png

I'm not sure if my little maran is a hen imitating a rooster or she is really a he. In any case, the bird in question has been seen trying on two occasions to mount one of the other hens, and has been doing some pretty aggressive, head up, chest out, neck feathers standing out confrontation of the biggest hen we have, the cochin. I actually renamed the maran Plucky when she (he?) started up with that, but now with the mounting and the much taller comb and longer waddles, I'm wondering if it might be time to take him back where he came from. At three months, shouldn't a rooster be crowing by now to make it clear what we've got?

If you post a pic, we couold possibly tell you if it looks like a rooster. At a young age such as 3 months though, it's probably a roo. A hen who takes over roo roles usually happens in mature adults when no roo is present.

Quote:
OK, here is a couple of Chickie and one with her standing with Roo. Chickie has no real sign of a comb and no waddles. I doubt she is a "he" but she does a great "cock a doodle "do for a hen.
10007_chickie_on_chair_perch.jpg

10007_chickies_back_on_chair_perch.jpg

10007_roo_and_chickie_scout_for_bugs_together.jpg

Back
Top Bottom