1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen in breathing distress, at ER

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mowsterbowster, Aug 23, 2014.

1. mowsterbowster

mowsterbowster New Egg

Aug 23, 2014
    Hi all--I have a one year old Salmon Faverolle who this morning was making a lot of high pitched "Pip!" exclamations and sneezing a bit, neither of which is unusual for her. We're now at the emergency vet as when I went to check her several hours later she was open-beak breathing with a squeaky noise upon each exhale, off by herself. Collapsed in carrier on car ride over here. They have her on oxygen but don't see an airway obstruction. X-rays show a large round white area in the abdomen instead of an hourglass shape, so they think mass or fluid. No egg visible. Lungs look ok so they don't think pneumonia. But they aren't chicken people here, and had never heard of gapeworm. (However, this was sudden onset and she never stuck her head vertically to try to breathe.) She may have just finished a broody cycle 2 days ago--I say may because she and her sister are tough to tel apart. Thoughts? Thanks!

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Can't help, but wishes for her recovery...stay calm and keep us updated!

3. mowsterbowster

mowsterbowster New Egg

Aug 23, 2014
    Hi all--Replying late here just to follow up and let everyone know she turned out to be egg-bound after all. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by