1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hen in health issue status please help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by vbbgranch, Mar 18, 2017.

1. vbbgranch

vbbgranch Just Hatched

Jan 2, 2017
    so this afternoon i was helping my dad stack hay we got done and i noticed my anacona hen was stuck in the fence, im sure she was there over night as i notmally feed at night only. but i look over every once in a while and i seen her stuck, i rushed over to get her out because shes in with one drake and separted in a next pen where her head was is three other drakes we are getting ready to butcher, anyways, so i got her unstuck she was raspy and wheezy normally when shes okay she would run from me but this time she just stood there and let me pick her up, i separated her and my other hen feom the drakes so it wont happen again but now shes not eating, just drinking water and thats it. im freaking out id hate to lose her ive lost way to many in the 2 years i have owned ducks.

i ran to my local feed store and geabbed electrolytes, and probiotics as well as some no peck with tea tree in it so the peck wound where the drake she was in with kept grabbing on and mating her would not get infected, or whatever im just stressed and want to know what else i can do for her she doesnt want to eat but she will drink water and stay next to the water.

what can i do for her? am i doing enough should i get her some wet food??
    help please

2. vbbgranch

vbbgranch Just Hatched

Jan 2, 2017

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Is she injured from being stuck in the fence? how much of her was stuck? Where?

You might try mixing her feed into some warm water and making soup that way she can drink instead of eating normal. If her neck was stuck she may be in pain.. Give her time to relax and rest .@vbbgranch

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  4. vbbgranch

vbbgranch Just Hatched

Jan 2, 2017

okay so she had her neck in one hole and then apparently the boys went crazy then she tried to escape and put her head throught the wrong hole or the drake she was in with pulled her head through the top hole above the one ahe was already in, she i can imageine her neck is super sore right now so i have goven her some moist soupy crumble feed. with chopped mealworms for protien and she has shelter do you think she will be fine? i mean she is improving by the hour she went from being in schock kind of to drinking water then playing with little meal worms in the water and quacking two quacks when i would check on her. so im hoping she will improve more.

and i did check her neck when i got her unstuck nothing seemed broken, but i called my vet anywyas and she confirmed nothing was beoken qhen she came out to check her just said she needed rest im just worried because shes not eating but i do think her neck is sore so she doesnt want to move it or move herself to ease the pain

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Bless her heart I am sure she is very sore, probably sprained and they are painful. Sounds like she'll be okay may just take her a week to get over it. I'd put up some other kind of fencing around the bottom of your pen to keep this from happening again. Lowe's carries plastic poultry fencing and it works great for things like this. Not safe on it's own but for reinforcing already put up fencing works great!! and last forever.

Please let us know how she is doing. @vbbgranch

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by