Hen in Shock/Traumatized

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fluffychicky, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Fluffychicky

Fluffychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Sophia, NC
    I love my little silkie Bell but two nights ago I put her up for bed and right before I closed it up she escaped without my knowledge. I don't know what possessed her to go adventuring when it was getting so dark but because I didn't see her in the yard when I did my nightly walk around and I had put her up myself I didn't think anything of it and went to bed thinking she was safe in the coop with the others. The next morning I find her balled up tight, wet and trembling in the tall grass beside my house, I felt awful but I had to go to work so I placed her in the run with the others and left. I came back she hadn't moved, hadn't eaten, kept her eyes shut and won't stand. I checked her over for wounds she has none and the day before she was running around being more adventuresome and active than she had ever been. It was such a stark contrast to how she was now acting, so I brought her inside and I brought her flock mate in as well (my other silkie Taco is her best friend). This is day 3 of her not eating on her own and not moving, I have syringe fed her water and various other things (egg, greek yogurt, starter mash, and she will be having a broccoli/tomato/yogurt puree for lunch. Her poop is normal, very fluid but I'm assuming that is because of the all liquid diet I've been having to feed her. Her crop is also nothing but liquid which again I assume it is due to the diet she's been getting. I don't know what to do with her, she just sits there making long drawn out quiet chirps (her breathing is fine) barely opens her eyes, though she did stand today. When might she be back to normal? Should I take her to the vet to ensure she gets the proper nourishment? What else should I be feeding her? I want to get her back on her feet moving around. I can't think of anything that would be physically wrong with her but she does occasionally do this head tick thing to the side (I don't know if it's just her falling asleep though) I'm so tore up about this and confused on what I should be doing. I had no idea chickens could be emotionally traumatized like this. I'm not sure how long she will survive like this. And I don't know if I should keep her flock mate cooped up in the cage with her, because she never leaves her side and has only eaten and drank a little since being placed with Bell, all she wants to do is nuzzle Bell and stay right with her, which I'm hoping makes Bell feel better but I worry about Taco's health if she continues like that.
    I will post a video of the noise.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  2. Fluffychicky

Mar 26, 2013
    Sophia, NC

this is the video of Bell's noise as you can see she won't open her eyes, she's also a bit ruffled today. I have her wrapped in a towel in my lap while her flock mate free ranges today.

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Take her to the vet,maybe they can find out what is wrong. The head shaking might be a result of her feathers around face being wet or respiratory issues as she was wet when you found her. She is lovely,but you can tell she does not feel well.

4. Fluffychicky

Mar 26, 2013
    Sophia, NC
    I have to wait for my next paycheck but if she still isn't better I will take her. In the mean time is there anything else I should be doing?

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Have you given her any electrolytes and vitamins,if not try them. Keep her warm. Watery poop is from liquid diet. Shock in some animals is very hard on them,they become completely traumatized,chickens do not deal well with any stress. I know you are trying to get her to eat,keep encouraging her with favorite foods. Look up more information on respiratory issues as well as dosage/medication information,there is lots of information on forum regarding respiratory problems. I am sorry i have never had any respiratory issues,so i do not feel qualified to give medication dosage information,i know the medications,but have never used them.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  6. Fluffychicky

Mar 26, 2013
    Sophia, NC
    I am pretty sure she is breathing ok, I will watch her closely though. And yes I add electrolytes to her water when I hydrate her and try to give her high vitamin foods.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by