Hen in shock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by murray08, Sep 13, 2016.

1. murray08

murray08 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2015
    Hello I have a hen in shock since last Thursday. A hawk got a hold of her. I ran outside to see a hawk standing on her. Her external Injuries were minimal. Just a little wound on her temple that is healed. Took her to the vet Saturday after she didn't come around and the vet gave her less than 10% chance of surviving. She is being tube fed baby parrot food 3 times a day, on antibiotics, sub q fluids, and pain meds. She is just sitting in her box inside our house. Her eyes will open sometimes and she will struggle at feeding time but won't move any other time. Is there any thing else I can do to get her to come around? It seems more mental at this time. I brought her out to her flock and she didn't respond. Thanks for any advice!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  2. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

If her injuries were minimal why did the vet give her a 10% chance of surviving? All I know of for treating shock are, electrolytes (possibly one with added vitamins) and a good probiotic. I'm sorry abut your hen and wish I could help you out more :(. Good luck with her

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  3. murray08

Oct 2, 2015
    I think it's becuse of how severe her shock is. Her heart rate was very slow. So we are kinda lost right now. Not sure how long it will take for her to become aware of her surroundings if she will at all? Thanks [​IMG]

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It almost sounds like she may have a brain injury?
    You mention she had just a small wound on her temple and the external injuries were minimal - what about internal injuries?

Did the vet do any type of xrays or exam while you were there?
    With his prognosis 10%survival, that is concerning.

I don't know of anything else you can do to help her. You are taking good care of her.

5. murray08

Oct 2, 2015
    Thank you. The vet did not find any indication that she had internal injuries. Her crop is intact and she did a physical exam but not X-rays. So we can not be certain nothing internally is going on. She just seems like she has shut down from the trauma. She knows she hates medication time and tube feeding. She is strong and will stand up and get mad. She understands what food is and a syring full of Pedialyte. She will eat and drink but not enough through hand feeding that's why we are tubing her. I guess time will tell. We have also been hand feeding a silkie hen for 4 months that has a brain injury! Still hoping she will be able to take care of herself soon! We're pretty devoted pet parents lol.

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Give her some time. If she is standing and fighting the feeding, then hopefully she will recover. You are doing very well in taking care of both her and your silkie.

7. AV8RChick

AV8RChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2014
    Lake Wylie, SC
    One of my Orpingtons survived a fox attack. Her sister wasn't so lucky. She appeared to be in shock for almost a week. It was summer in the south so I moved her into a spare room in the house and she took to resting under a raised dresser. I kept her hydrated and kept feed around as wel, as scrambling some eggs for her. She had substantial wounds on her back, which I cleaned and put antibiotic cream on regularly. It took her about 3 months to fully recover. Don't give up. They are more resilient than they seem.

8. madcatter69

madcatter69 New Egg

Sep 14, 2016
    Western Colorado
    One of my reds was attacked by a racoon one night and it bit off her comb before we could get to her. She was also in shock. Try putting her in a dog crate or box in the house somewhere quiet and warm (but make sure there is airflow) plenty of fresh cool wager and feed, offer her fresh treats like fruits,veggies or yogurt in a small bowl, dim the lights and let her be alone in that safe quiet place for a few days and see how it goes. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by