Hen in shock

Lukeyboi223

Hatching
Jun 11, 2020
4
0
1
Hi guys, two days ago a fox attacked our chickens and killed one but the other seems to be injured and in shock. She’s lost the feathers by her neck, she only seems to gasp when you pick her up, her eyes are closed and got a shocked facial expression.

We took her into a dark warm room for the night where she did eat a bit and drank a little, but waking up this morning she’s “drooling” and didn’t really want to eat or drink (via pipette) and her eyes are still closed.

weve put her back with the other chickens and she’s slowly wandering around with her eyes closed and when she gets near the food and water, she seems interested but walks away. She did lay an egg yesterday and has been pooping black poops.
I’m not sure what to do honest can anyone give me advice?
 

Lukeyboi223

Hatching
Jun 11, 2020
4
0
1
Here’s a photo, she does talk and she also scratches her face every now and then too
988FD63B-7F6C-4EF8-9F8C-4A59A57A14AD.jpeg
EE8471D9-3E47-44DC-9E9A-D8F925058863.jpeg
 

Lukeyboi223

Hatching
Jun 11, 2020
4
0
1
Okay, is that including during the day? I was thinking she’d might be coaxed to snap out of it being around the other chickens?

Yeah I have, besides the loss of feathers, there are no visible cuts. In terms of electrolytes and vitamins, what should I use?
 

PlayingDoh

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2020
8
4
12
Ontario
Sounds like internal damage, no idea how to help with that other than going to a vet, sorry.
Definitely keep her away from the other birds (yes day and night), they'll gang up and attack her if they sense something is wrong.
 

Lukeyboi223

Hatching
Jun 11, 2020
4
0
1
Thank you all, we’ve brought her back inside and got her electrolytes, vitamins and painkillers as well as force fed her some eggs as she isn’t eating. We’ll keep an eye on her for a day or two and if there’s no improvement or she worsens, we will take her to the vets!
Thank you all again ❤️ I don’t wanna lose her
 

PlayingDoh

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2020
8
4
12
Ontario
If you are willing to take her to the vet, do it sooner than later. The longer you wait, the harder it's going to be for the vet to do anything resulting in more cost and less chance of survival.
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom