Hen in the Coop Sure Beats Heat Lamp in the House!

BanoOmg

Songster
Oct 6, 2020
Southern California
Hello BYC!

I have acquired six new baby chicks as of 5/1/2022. This was my first time letting a broody hen hatch eggs. I have no rooster, but I found a local that sells fertilized eggs cheap enough that it was worth a try.

6 of 7 hatched. 4 Dominiques, 1 EE, 1 OE. I'm a little concerned three of the Dom's are roos, based on their head spots and wing tips.

I've already strayed away from the point of this post! Mama hen raising baby chicks out in the coop/run is a whole lot nicer than keeping the chicks inside! She's got it all figured out!

I know there are risks involved, but they're totally worth it. It's really cool watching a hen look after the chicks. I was worried she'd be a pushover and be bullied by the others like when she was broody, but she's fiercely protective of the babies!

She was kept in an open dog kennel the whole time, covered on the sides for privacy. She and the chicks patrol the run all day. Nobody has attacked babies yet. The other hens want to be on the opposite side of the run most of the time, so I'm going to figure out a way to extend the run without letting rodents in. More room for everyone!

I'm very excited. The chicks are cute, as they always tend to be. Five black, one gold. I'll get pics up eventually.

One more thing! The 21 day hatch estimate was spot on! None of my lady friends have given birth their predicted due dates, but we really have chickens figured out haha!

Hello BYC!

I have acquired six new baby chicks as of 5/1/2022. This was my first time letting a broody hen hatch eggs. I have no rooster, but I found a local that sells fertilized eggs cheap enough that it was worth a try.

6 of 7 hatched. 4 Dominiques, 1 EE, 1 OE. I'm a little concerned three of the Dom's are roos, based on their head spots and wing tips.

I've already strayed away from the point of this post! Mama hen raising baby chicks out in the coop/run is a whole lot nicer than keeping the chicks inside! She's got it all figured out!

I know there are risks involved, but they're totally worth it. It's really cool watching a hen look after the chicks. I was worried she'd be a pushover and be bullied by the others like when she was broody, but she's fiercely protective of the babies!

She was kept in an open dog kennel the whole time, covered on the sides for privacy. She and the chicks patrol the run all day. Nobody has attacked babies yet. The other hens want to be on the opposite side of the run most of the time, so I'm going to figure out a way to extend the run without letting rodents in. More room for everyone!

I'm very excited. The chicks are cute, as they always tend to be. Five black, one gold. I'll get pics up eventually.

One more thing! The 21 day hatch estimate was spot on! None of my lady friends have given birth their predicted due dates, but we really have chickens figured out haha!
Congratulations to the mother. What's her name?

I have always used broody hens, Has the Momma hen growled yet?
My first hatch, I could have spent the whole day outside just watching them. Recently, I thought I had lost a hen. She didn't come back one night. (The hens and a bantam rooster that I have, free range my yard during the day and they can get out if they really want to.) We looked all over the first night, to no avail. The next morning she did not return and so we looked all over again the next night. After a while, we stopped looking every night and gave up on her. Couple of weeks passed and we were about finished grieving and ready to move on. Then one morning my husband said she was waiting out side the gate when he went to do the morning chicken chores. But then she disappeared again. We didn't see her again. A few nights later, around 11:30, I was trying to sleep when I thought I heard a hen bawk, and then chicks peeping. I went outside with a flashlight and under the house was Midge (my 1 bantam hen) with 15 chicks. My husband and I moved them in the middle of the night to our broody. box.
A see no touch small coop and run in the big chicken area. They are all growing up fine. The adults stop to watch them and Momma runs over and growls at them. We have let them roam the yard with the adults put up and hubby and I there to help watch. They are so enjoyable to watch and I think they are about ready to mix with the rest of the flock and see how it goes.
I can't wait to see your pictures and am anxious to hear how things progress with your chicks, Please keep this thread going if you don't mind.
:frow Welcome from New Orleans. I am so glad you joined and decided to start this thread.

Last edited:
Congratulations to the mother. What's her name?
We call her Goku.

Here's an overhead pic from day 1:

IMG_20220501_105707814_HDR.jpg

And another couple from today:
IMG_20220503_090312932_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220503_085954564_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom