Hen in the corner

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CindyG, Aug 24, 2010.

1. CindyG

CindyG Chillin' With My Peeps

I have four Ameracaunas among my flock, I think one roo and three hens (fingers crossed) Two pure white, (hens) two brown/white splash (one hen, one roo). Anyway, one of the white hens grabs the brown/white splash hen by the back of her neck and drags her all over the coop, the brown one screaming all the way. Waterer and feeder swinging wildly as they wrestle! Then, the dragee gets in the corner with her head between the studs, and just stands there, while the white girl goes about her business, but if the brown moves out of the corner, the white is right back and it starts all over again. This can go on for 20 minutes, (I have a chair in the coop and I sit and watch) and then it's calm till the next time. Is this normal pecking order behaviour? The rooster is not usually inside while this is happening, he is out chasing all the other chickens that belong in this coop, trying to get them to come home as they are usually in the second coop checking things out over there.

2. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Hi Cindy! Sounds like you've got a bully on your hands. It's not uncommon to have an alpha-hen in the flock, but she seems a bit too violent. I'd rehome her.

3. CindyG

CindyG Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, my, can't rehome her , she isn't laying yet and needs to earn her keep!! Might whack her next time she does this, or put her in the time out cage.

4. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I think a time-out when she acts this way is a good idea. Hopefully a little "chicken jail" will help get her act together! I feel so aweful for your little brown girl! [​IMG]

5. chica57

chica57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    I had a problem like that-we tried a time out cage-thought "why not-its worth a shot!" did it for 2 days-it worked!! In that time I spent time with the one in the corner to get her not to be afraid to go into the run or walk around for that matter and when the other one came out of her time out she had to pretty much try to reestablish her position-it worked!!!! I couldn't see rehoming her either-just a little time and patience-GOOD LUCK!!!! [​IMG]

6. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I have had similar issues. There are many ways to go about changing the pecking order up a little. If you have a small cage or dog kennel, I would put the nasty one in there and in the coop. Make sure she has food and water but leave her in there all day (unless it is too hot) The others can roam around and eat and drink but she can't get at them.

Let the others have fun and eat. If the pecked hen doesn't get adequate feed she will become too weak to fight back. There goes an egg layer!

Then let the hen out of the cage at night when everyone is calm and roosting. Check the next day and see if she is being nicer. If not cage her again and again until she stops. Eventually they usually come around or they get to free range and I don't let them back in the coop.

Another thing I do is create a few hidey-holes for birds who needs to hide. As many as the coop will allow. I put out crates or logs that haven't been split yet for firewood for everyone to roost on.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by