Hen Infighting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zumzumfoxy, Sep 30, 2011.

1. zumzumfoxy

zumzumfoxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Hey all,

Got a question for you. Amberbock (our amber sex link) laid an egg and began announcing it. We took the egg out, congratulated her and patted her. All the girls had already been said hello to, watered & fed this morning and everyone was happy. Then after we took the egg out, my EE Chai decided to randomly attack my fiance's arm, then she did it a second time when he was exclaiming at her in surprise.

We left and then heard shrieking. Chai had attacked Amberbock's comb and pecked her on top of the head (a little bleeding from both spots), and Amberbock had nipped at the skin at the base of the left side of Chai's beak by the wattle. Both were grump and bleeding from said points, though not badly. We took out each hen, used flour to stop up the bleeding and staunched the injuries for a few seconds (and both birds complained), then put them back in. Everything seems to be fine now. I snipped off Amberbock's bloody headfeathers since wiping them down wasn't working.

I know that Chai's quirky- she used to be the dominant hen at one point before Amberbock and Chai hasn't yet laid. Now she's usually a sweet cuddlebug and she came out this morning for affection too (which I gave). When she was younger she'd hate it if some fellow chicken walked directly in front of her and she'd assert herself. (Java is prone to asserting her personal space too, now and then, and she's also an EE.) Amberbock is usually a complete brat to me due to being a Daddy's little girl (she's his hen). Amberbock has never been high up on the totem pole. Java was recently the bottom when she joined in, but now she's seemingly on the top..

Space isn't a problem; they've got 72 square feet and they're comfortable, have food, water, fresh air, have affection on a regular basis- is it Chai about to lay an egg and her hormones kicking in that would cause the aggression, or would it be simply not liking Amberbock exclaiming she laid an egg so loudly or something?

Why on earth would Chai have a fit at Amberbock? Any ideas?

Thank you!

PS, 'nother question: Amberbock's a white chicken but laid a brown egg!! WTH?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. wrestling_mom

wrestling_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    Quote:Maybe THAT is the answer. Maybe Amber took credit for Chai's egg?
    Seriously, what color are her ears? That might give you your answer, if she has brown ears.

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    put some decoy eggs in as you take the real ones out it may help!!

4. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    You may need to check the ears of Ambercock if she has brown ears

5. zumzumfoxy

Jun 29, 2011
    Really?? Maybe that was it.

Amberbock's ears are white! o_o Chai's are silvery brown.

@Steve: Good idea! Would they get broody though?

6. zumzumfoxy

Jun 29, 2011
    Nope! We JUST watched Amberbock lay an egg- and it's BROWN!!

So our white/cream hen laid a brown egg. How weird!! [​IMG] I was so sure she'd have white eggs for being all white.

This means the situation we figured is backwards. It wasn't Amberbock taking credit for Chai's egg! What happened?!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  7. wrestling_mom

wrestling_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    WOW!!![​IMG] That's interesting.

8. zumzumfoxy

Jun 29, 2011
    Definitely weird! I think I'll write this one off as "Chickens are chickens"- I guess Chai just got jealous or didn't like the volume going off next to her or something.

But yeah, I read that amber stars (closest to my amber sexlink?) are brown egg layers. [​IMG] So weird to me- I was so sure she'd lay white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by