Hen inhaled a piece of monistat (for gleet treatment) suppository instead of swallowing!

Friendly Flower

Chirping
Mar 25, 2017
I have a 5 year old hen who had a bad case of gleet. In researching, I decided the best route was to treat her with 1/3 monistat suppository orally 1 x day for 3 days. Upon the 2and day of dosing, I think she inhaled a piece and seemed to cough, shake her head and ended up with a whistling sound when she breathes! I thought it would melt and work it's way out, but it hasnt. It's been about 2 weeks now and she still makes whistling sounds, tries to shake her head with a cough to get it out, only now, it also includes her opening her mouth to breathe in! There is no infectious odor small from her mouth, nor any mucus coming out of her nose or mouth. The heightened effort to breath with her mouth opening is concerning as well as still whistling sounds. I am wondering if I should treat her with tylan 50, as maybe it has gotten into her lungs and turned into a respiratory infection? Help!! She is a Dominique. She is eating and drinking fine, maybe eating a little less, but still very much interested in food, water and socializing.

Can you get a video of her? Upload to youtube and provide a link.

Photos of the hen, her poop and the vent gleet? Has the vent gleet cleared up?
What's her crop like - is it emptying overnight?

Can you get a video of her? Upload to youtube and provide a link.

Photos of the hen, her poop and the vent gleet? Has the vent gleet cleared up?
What's her crop like - is it emptying overnight?
Help! Please look at the you tube video I took of my hen that I believe inhaled a piece of the monistat suppository. She now extends her neck to breath most of the time and still has the squeak- like noise cough. The cough is now happening more often. The hen's gleet cleared using the method I chose (monistat suppository cut into thirds and given 1/3 suppository, orally, for 3 days). Her crop seems to be emptying just fine, although it isn't as full as the other girls', so I am imagining she isnt eating as much, however, she IS eating and drinking and hanging out as normal. I just need to clear her breathing/cough. Should I treat her for a respiratory issue? And how/what? I would have thought the suppository piece would have melted and she woulda coughed it out, but it's not seeming like shes getting better. Not sure if I liaded my chicken video correctly on you tube, so I'm also including an attached a video file below as well.

Help! Please look at the you tube video I took of my hen that I believe inhaled a piece of the monistat suppository. She now extends her neck to breath most of the time and still has the squeak- like noise cough. The cough is now happening more often. The hen's gleet cleared using the method I chose (monistat suppository cut into thirds and given 1/3 suppository, orally, for 3 days). Her crop seems to be emptying just fine, although it isn't as full as the other girls', so I am imagining she isnt eating as much, however, she IS eating and drinking and hanging out as normal. I just need to clear her breathing/cough. Should I treat her for a respiratory issue? And how/what? I would have thought the suppository piece would have melted and she woulda coughed it out, but it's not seeming like shes getting better. Not sure if I liaded my chicken video correctly on you tube, so I'm also including an attached a video file below as well.
Is she laying eggs?

Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs - is there swelling or fluid?
Have you looked inside her beak for lesions or canker?

Have you introduced new birds within the last 30 days?

Taking a fecal float to your vet to check for worms would be good - if that's possible.

Hard to know what's causing her distress - a few things come to mind - respiratory disease, reproductive disorder with fluid, unresolved crop issue and/or gapeworms.

You can try giving an antibiotic like Tylosin to see if that helps relieve symptoms. It can be ordered online HERE. De-worming with Safeguard (Fenbendazole) would take care of most worms.

Is she laying eggs?

Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs - is there swelling or fluid?
Have you looked inside her beak for lesions or canker?

Have you introduced new birds within the last 30 days?

Taking a fecal float to your vet to check for worms would be good - if that's possible.

Hard to know what's causing her distress - a few things come to mind - respiratory disease, reproductive disorder with fluid, unresolved crop issue and/or gapeworms.

You can try giving an antibiotic like Tylosin to see if that helps relieve symptoms. It can be ordered online HERE. De-worming with Safeguard (Fenbendazole) would take care of most worms.
She is an older hen (about 7 -8 yrs old and hasnt laid begin about 1-2 years. There is no abdominal swelling and the only new additions have been chicks I raised. Her "constant squeaking cough" immediately happened just after I gave her the last dose of the monistat supository piece that "went down the wrong pipe". So I definitely know this is what has caused her distress and has slowly escalated (its been 3 weeks since it first happened). Deworming is a good suggestion and checking for cankers, I will do as well, however, I believe it's something obviously blocking her breathing and her trying to cough something out. Maybe it is a respiratory issue that developed. I just wanted to know what I could treat her with orally, for respiratory. I have Tylan 50 injectable... I cant do the needle thing! Can I load up a syringe and dose her orally with the injectable tylan? Besides the squeaking cough, she is stretching her neck vertically to breathe, mostly at night and somewhat during the day.

Back
Top Bottom