Hen injured by cat- feathers ripped out

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lola's Dad, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Lola's Dad

Lola's Dad New Egg

Mar 23, 2011
    Hi folks. I'm new to the forum. I have a 1 year old happy healthy hen. Yesterday, she was attached by a cat (I believe) and a chunk of feathers was ripped out of her hind quarter (an area about the size of a penny). The skin was shiny and raw. I blotted it with a wet wash cloth (and saw some blood on the cloth) and then applied some Neosporin antibiotic ointment to the wound (although the ointment didn't want to adhere to the flesh). What do you think ? Is there any other suggestions of what I should do, or watch for ? Thanks !!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Keep her away from other chickens if there is blood they will peck at it. I would try some blue-kote that seems to work well or you can keep the area clean and dry and put on some antibiotic cream. Good luck and I hope your hen makes a full recovery.

3. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    My recommendation would be to, as schellie69 said, definitely quarantine her from any other chickens. The neosporin should do fine, so long as no dirt gets into the wound. To prevent this, you should probably keep her in a cage in the house for awhile, so she doesn't get dirt in the wound. If the wound is kept clean, she should heal rather quickly.

Good luck, and I hope your girl gets a clean bill of health soon. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by