1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen Injured by Roo "Pictures added"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peruvian_princess, May 8, 2008.

1. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    It seems that my RIR roo has really mangled one of my RIR hens really severly! You can see where the srup has went in on both sides of her flank. What can I do for her? She is really super soar should I poor some peroxide or something on her? I am so sick to my stomach. I was so mad that I caught the roo and cut both of his spurs off!

*title edited for clarity*

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    If it's really bad you might want to separate her for a few days until the wounds close up a bit so the others don't peck her.

You can also use neosporin to help keep the skin moist and germs out.

Hope she heals well for yoU!

3. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    When my chicks got pecked on, I mixed 1 part betadine with 9 parts water to help keep bacteria out and then I used neosporin. Hope she gets better soon.

4. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    The neosporin will work, do not put peroxide on the would if it has been more than a day, you can do it in the beginning, but after that the peroxide will damage the new tissue that is healing. So if you use it, use it only once in the beginning of the healing process.
    Good luck and best wishes for hen.

5. peruvian_princess

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    I have added pictures of what that stupid rooster did to my little salma! I also added a pic of my run it is plenty big I dont know why he done this to her!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. peruvian_princess

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    At first I thought maybe a racoon or possum had gotten her through the fence but their is no break in the wire nor is their evidence of an outside attack. I knew it had to be the roo he had bloddy spurs and feet! Should I go ahead and eat him?

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Remember that the roo did not intentionaly set out to harm the hen, he is just doing the natural mating thing, so no, I wouldn't take his life for doing what comes naturally.

I would blunt his spurs using either a dremel tool, file or dog nail clippers, that way you remove the hazzard and he can still do what roo's do. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  8. peruvian_princess

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Ok I was mad at the time so I did cut his spurs down they bled but i didnt really care since salma is looking like hamburger meat I think he will be able to hanlde a little bloody spur!

9. peruvian_princess

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    It actually looks way worse than what the picture depicts. I can see where she has no skin looks life freddy krueger got a holt of her on her sides.

10. peruvian_princess

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    I dont think she is going to survive?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by