Hen injured by roos spur now she is limping.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenmomma2, Mar 20, 2013.

1. chickenmomma2

chickenmomma2 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2012
    One of my hens was sliced pretty deep by the roos spur. I brought her in and cleaned it up. I then examined it and it didn't appear that anything other than the outer layer of skin was sliced. I sewed her up but she is limping pretty bad. The injury happened on Saturday and it is now Wednesday. Any input please? Thanks. I don't have the money for the vet. Just to walk in the door is $55 and I am flat busted broke.

2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    I would'nt worry to much.I limped for a few days to after my roo attacked me! The only thing a vet would do is criticize your stitches and clean the wound then send you home with a huge bill and a bottle of antiseptic/antibiotic. Just clean it daily with peroxide or something and keep bacitrcin,neosporin or other of your choice on it and give her a little extra love and attention and I think she will be fine!

By the way where is everybody buying these suture kits 'cause I want one!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  3. chickenmomma2

May 27, 2012
    Thanks for the encouragement. Actually my "suture kit" was a needle and thread out of my sewing kit that I sterilized. The pharmacist said that would work.

4. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    That is good to know! Thanks!

5. chickenmomma2

May 27, 2012
    Update on my injured hen. Her wound is looking really good. I have allowed her out of her cage and she's walking around the enclosed back porch. Physical therapy. I took her outside the other day and within 10 minutes 2 of the hens had jumped her and were picking at her. She didn't have her "fight" back so I brought her back inside. Hopefully it will warm up after this snow we have had and I can take her out again this weekend to try to reintergrate her. But, she's doing fine.

6. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    Excellent News!!! Our rehab chicken now officially acts like a pet dog so you've been warned!!!

7. chickenmomma2

May 27, 2012
    LOL.....thanks for the heads up. That will make 3 that will act like pet dogs. I already have Thelma and Sophia who come when called and follow me around. Penny will be "puppy number 3". [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by