Hen injured leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by laws24, Aug 7, 2011.

1. laws24

laws24 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    My best layer Greta jumped not super far off of a deck but must have landed wrong. :cdShe was limping severly the first day so I kept her and my other 3 confined for the next day. She seemed better then although still limping but not as bad. She seems her self for the most eating, foraging not quite as friendly as she usually is. But I have noticed she still isn't roosting at night and it has been just over a week now and I'm starting to worry about her. I did examine her the first day and could find nothing wrong with her foot. [​IMG]I dont know what to do or what I can do for her. Any one who can please help I am new to chickens and have no idea what to do![​IMG]

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

How is Greta doing? Is she getting better? [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I recommend that you put her in a cage or crate for rest and relaxation, you dont want her walking on the bad leg which she could possibly injure worse. Provide her feed and water while caged. You can buy vitamin B complex tablets at a pharmacy and crush a few into powder and sprinkle it in her feed, do this for 5 days. It may help speed up the healing process. You can also feed her scrambled egg mixed with buttermilk to bolster her immune system. Keep her caged for about 5 days then let her out to see if she has healed. If she still limps, put her back in the cage for another 5 days, same treatment for another 5 days and let her out again. If she continues to limp, put her in the cage again but dont use anymore vitamin B complex. Leg injuries take time to heal, usually about a week. Sometimes they take weeks, months or never. As long as she's eating and drinking normally, she should be fine. If she never heals, consider giving her a seperate area to forage etc...the reason is that others will pick/peck on her due to her injury...survival of the fittest, it is their way to weed out to the sick and injured as not to attract predators. I recommend you lower your roosts in their house and somehow prevent your chickens from jumping up to high places...tough to do sometimes.

4. BIGONE

BIGONE New Egg

Aug 8, 2011
    I am new to the BaackyardChickens forum and I find it quite useful considering this is my first rodeo. That being said my Sunny is also limping and not wanting to put weight on her right leg. I didn't witness what happened but I am guessing she landed wrong too. Thanks for the advise on how to tend to them. I will try that as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by