Hen injured, unknown cause.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lisamaree90, Oct 1, 2013.

1. lisamaree90

lisamaree90 Out Of The Brooder

I have come home to my leghorn injured, see image below. Am treating wound hen seems to not be in shock which is great.. Any ideas what this may be from?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Picture is not showing.

3. lisamaree90

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am cleaning the wound every second day and she is also getting antibiotics.. she is back in the coop with the others and they don't seem to be bothering the wounds as it is hidden under her back feathers.

Any ideas what this could be from? Cat, hawk, pecking? I really don't think it was from my other two hens as my leghorn is the queen bee.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do you have a rooster in the flock? It almost looks like a mating injury caused by a rooster's toenails or spurs. It also might from a hit by a hawk. Continue on as you are treating, and make sure that the wound does not become fly blown. Good luck.

5. lisamaree90

No we don't, I think it's from a hawk also, she was quite shaken up at first and it looked like she'd been in quite a struggle as there where feathers right throughout the coop. Thanks for your input! Hope we have a speedy recovery with her she's a darling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by