Hen intimidation

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JeremyKSullivan, Mar 5, 2013.

1. JeremyKSullivan

JeremyKSullivan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2013
    Alabama
    Since my hens have decided they aren't going to lay any eggs, I had a Cadbury Creme Egg in front of them today. Next time it's going to be a bucket of KFC. After that, they may find themselves in a pot of dumplings! They better step it up! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WillowChick

WillowChick Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL!

How old are they?

Looks like you might have a feather-picker? I just went through that with one of mine.

3. JeremyKSullivan

Feb 27, 2013
    Alabama
    Not sure, I bought them at an auction recently. These are my first, so I don't know anything about aging them. The one with missing feathers was like that when I got her. I think they're starting to grow back. One of the hens laid an egg. Haven't laid since though. Been over a week. Hopefully they'll kick it in gear. I'm ready to test out my incubator and expand the farm.

4. WillowChick

Missing feathers near the tail could be from mites or feather-pickers or (more rarely) from an over-amorous rooster. Roosters usually destroy feathers higher up though. Might want to check her for mites or, if it's one of the other hens doing it, pinless peepers work well. If it was someone from her old flock, her feathers should grow back right away.

Sometimes it takes a while for them to feel comfortable enough to lay an egg. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll start soon :)

Willow

1 person likes this.
  5. JeremyKSullivan

Feb 27, 2013
    Alabama
    Guess what??? Today was the day! :) egg #2
    Now, hopefully it'll turn into a daily routine!

[​IMG]

Question - how long can an egg stay un-refrigerated and still be good? For example, I collected an egg today. If I had at least a half dozen within a few days, I'd like to incubate them. If I only end up with 2 or 3 I'd like to eat them. Can I store them outside for say 3-5 days then refrigerate and eat them if I didn't have enough to incubate?

6. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    A fertile egg stored on the counter is good for ten to fourteen days, after that the viability starts to drop. Storage in the refrigerator drops the viability. A hen will lay a clutch of eggs over about a two week period and hatch most of them. For eating the eggs can go a while longer with out refrigerating.

1 person likes this.
  7. JeremyKSullivan

Feb 27, 2013
    Alabama
    Thanks a lot. So if I understand correctly, it will be perfectly fine for me to do the following:

-Collect my eggs daily.
    -Store them for 5-7 days.
    -If I have enough to sell or incubate, good.
    -If not, refrigerate and eat. Also good! :)

At what temperature should they be stored for the 5-7 days before selling, incubating, or refrigerating?

8. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    That is a workable plan. For incubation 60-80, room temperature is fine. For your own use unrefrigerated is good, many countries don't refrigerate their eggs. In the US, to sell eggs for eating refrigeration is required from day one.

9. WillowChick

Store in a cool dark place, wide-end up in an open egg carton. As a general rule of thumb, the longer you need to store them, the lower the temperature should be. They lose viability drastically after about 3 weeks, so:

Up to 1 week - 70 degrees
    2 weeks - 60 degrees
    3 weeks - 50 degrees

Having said that, people do hatch refrigerated eggs. The hatch rate drops very significantly at those temps tho...(10-25%) people also hatch old eggs with limited success as well.

Hope that helps!

Willow

10. Loghousemom

Loghousemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Up North
    Wow! Here I was thinking I could only save mine for up to seven days! Great information! Thanks.

Next question. Do you have a rooster fertilizing those eggs?

Maybe you know, willow chick, how long will a hen who was housed with a rooster lay fertile eggs after you remove her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by