1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen is acting as if she is egg bound but no apparent egg- day 3

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hassellmom, Sep 7, 2016.

1. hassellmom

hassellmom New Egg

Sep 7, 2016
    One of our hens has been lethargic and not eating for at least 3 days. She has been contracting hard and appears to be in tremendous pain. We have soaked her in warm water and lubricated her up but she didn't pass an egg. We haven't been able to feel an egg and her abdomen is soft. She is thin and her comb seems to be normal.. She did pass a worm during the spa treatment. Can worms cause these symptoms?

2. Rasita

Rasita New Egg

May 12, 2014
    Have you wormed her recently? I have had this when my hens have been pretty sick with intestinal parasites they look like they are egg bound but they aren't they have pain. If she passed a worm treat her immediately and aggressively I've lost a few this way as they get too ill and then they are hard to treat. In fact right now I have one I'm trying to help, the vet wasn't sure she can be saved but keep trying she has only been ill a few days but she is doing this too.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  3. hassellmom

hassellmom New Egg

Sep 7, 2016
    No. I am new to having my chickens. I have no idea what to give them for worms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by