hen is acting sick

Urbanfarmerkc

Songster
9 Years
Apr 10, 2010
Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
I have a hen who started acting strange a few days ago and I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with her. She stopped roosting and started sleeping in the nest boxes. She looks like she needs to lay and egg as she is moving the back part of her rear back and forth and it is exposed. She has poo all over her feathers back there too...

Is she struggling with laying an egg? I do have one hen that continuously lays odd eggs and I haven't see any of her eggs since this hen has been acting odd. I'm wondering if it is her and she has an egg stuck...

What are your thoughts?

Dave

Souinds like thats what it could be. You might give her a nice warm soak for about 30min. keeping the water warm so she won't chill, move her in doors so you can watch her more closely, she needs to be kept as quiet as possible in a warm humid room like the bath room, so she can relax and pass the egg hopefully, you might need to soak her more than once too, they usually don't mind a good soak and sometimes will fall asleep so don't put her in and leave her. you can also try setting her on a heating pad on warm with towels wrapped around them to see if this helps. She really needs to pass this egg. Does she feel swollen in her lower abdomen? also a tums dissolved in warm water might help if you can get her to drink it.

Quote:
No she isn't broody... At first that is what I thought and I put eggs under her... she wasn't interested. Also, about a week ago, the weird egg girl layed so if that is the problem, it isn't the first time...
sad.png
I may just have to cull her... It looks like a genetic problem...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom