NDBackyardChickens

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2019
We have had two cases of egg bound chickens in the two years of having them, but this feels different. It could be another matter, but I want to be sure.

This morning, my little brother brought to attention the fact that one of our girls was acting off. She was puffed up like she was egg bound, so we gave her some calcium and watched her a little bit. The difference this time is the fact that her breathing is this raspy, wheezing sounding thing. We took her inside and away from the other five to keep an eye on her.

It only looks like she is worse now. At first, she didn't want to stand for anything, but she has gotten weak to the point where she would lean over and fall if we didn't hold her up.

She laid down for a little, but then she started sneezing and standing up again. She seems to be trying to push something out, but this is freaking myself and my brothers out as this hasn't happened before and our egg bound girls had recovered in a few hours. We even have a container in front of her, mostly to assure the boys that she won't puke or anything since they're scared of how sick she could be.

Please help. I want to know how to care for her. My parents are gone for a while and I don't want to lose one of our girls possibly. This is my first time handling something like this.
15473188465446042952081488065153.jpg
15473188863764415567465402956988.jpg

I really hate to point this out, but your hen is likely close to death. Note the dark dusky color of her comb. This happens when a chicken is coming close to the end stage of either cancerous tumors on internal organs or has a seriously advanced respiratory issue. Or it could be both since they can each contribute to her decline.

Chickens have been known to rebound from what appears to be an incurable disease, though. I always try an antibiotic to see if it can make a difference. I use amoxicillin 250 mg for ten days. But more often than not, this proves to be futile.

Take her inside where it's warm and observe her. Watch the condition of her poop, and see if she's eating and drinking on her own. Most of the time, when a chicken has a dark comb, eyes shut most of the time, and can't seem to stand or move, the end is near.

This has nothing to do with how she's been cared for. An avian virus is most often at work in these cases, and symptoms don't appear until close to the very end. It's frustrating and terribly sad when you discover it may be too late to save your chicken, but you should not blame yourself or any others in the family.

You can, however, find out what has made her so sick. If she dies, refrigerate her body (do not freeze) and locate the agricultural lab closest to you and request a necropsy. The findings may impact the rest of your flock so it's wise to do this.

I really hate to point this out, but your hen is likely close to death. Note the dark dusky color of her comb. This happens when a chicken is coming close to the end stage of either cancerous tumors on internal organs or has a seriously advanced respiratory issue. Or it could be both since they can each contribute to her decline.

Chickens have been known to rebound from what appears to be an incurable disease, though. I always try an antibiotic to see if it can make a difference. I use amoxicillin 250 mg for ten days. But more often than not, this proves to be futile.

Take her inside where it's warm and observe her. Watch the condition of her poop, and see if she's eating and drinking on her own. Most of the time, when a chicken has a dark comb, eyes shut most of the time, and can't seem to stand or move, the end is near.

This has nothing to do with how she's been cared for. An avian virus is most often at work in these cases, and symptoms don't appear until close to the very end. It's frustrating and terribly sad when you discover it may be too late to save your chicken, but you should not blame yourself or any others in the family.

You can, however, find out what has made her so sick. If she dies, refrigerate her body (do not freeze) and locate the agricultural lab closest to you and request a necropsy. The findings may impact the rest of your flock so it's wise to do this.
This is incredibly heartbreaking for all of us, but we respect your response. We will still look after her and do our best, but if we do lose her then we will miss her so much.

If you have any people antibiotics in your bathroom, you can use them on this hen. If you find some, post what it is here and the strength and we can help figure out the dose.

It's always worth a try to save them even if the odds don't seem favorable.
We don't have a lot since we are not sick that often. All I can find is things like Tums, Claritin, Pepto-Bismol tablets, a PRO Vital C-LD bottle, Sudafed, Gas Relief, and Advil.

We have had two cases of egg bound chickens in the two years of having them, but this feels different. It could be another matter, but I want to be sure.

This morning, my little brother brought to attention the fact that one of our girls was acting off. She was puffed up like she was egg bound, so we gave her some calcium and watched her a little bit. The difference this time is the fact that her breathing is this raspy, wheezing sounding thing. We took her inside and away from the other five to keep an eye on her.

It only looks like she is worse now. At first, she didn't want to stand for anything, but she has gotten weak to the point where she would lean over and fall if we didn't hold her up.

She laid down for a little, but then she started sneezing and standing up again. She seems to be trying to push something out, but this is freaking myself and my brothers out as this hasn't happened before and our egg bound girls had recovered in a few hours. We even have a container in front of her, mostly to assure the boys that she won't puke or anything since they're scared of how sick she could be.

Please help. I want to know how to care for her. My parents are gone for a while and I don't want to lose one of our girls possibly. This is my first time handling something like this.View attachment 1640189 View attachment 1640191
I'm sorry about your hen:hugs

You mention that she seems to be trying to push something out?
Which end are you talking about -
her vent like she is trying to poop or lay an egg
or
from coughing/sneezing like she has something in her throat?

Can you tell us what her crop feels like - is it hard, soft or fluid filled?
What about her abdomen (below the vent, between the legs) any swelling there?

Do you have any SaveAChick electrolyte powder or Poultry Nutridrench that you could give in her water or by mouth? Try if she is awake enough, to hold a small scoop of water up to her beak to get her drinking. With her dark comb, she may be on her way out, but place a towel under her beak in stead of the pan. Keep her warm in the house. How long until your parents will get back? So sorry that you are having to deal with this illness.

I'm sorry about your hen:hugs

You mention that she seems to be trying to push something out?
Which end are you talking about -
her vent like she is trying to poop or lay an egg
or
from coughing/sneezing like she has something in her throat?

Can you tell us what her crop feels like - is it hard, soft or fluid filled?
What about her abdomen (below the vent, between the legs) any swelling there?
Thanks.
It looked like she was trying to push out either poop or an egg which was why we thought she was egg bound. Nothing has come out yet, but we have been checking her abdomen and she looks fine there.

Do you have any SaveAChick electrolyte powder or Poultry Nutridrench that you could give in her water or by mouth? Try if she is awake enough, to hold a small scoop of water up to her beak to get her drinking. With her dark comb, she may be on her way out, but place a towel under her beak in stead of the pan. Keep her warm in the house. How long until your parents will get back? So sorry that you are having to deal with this illness.
Parents won't be back until tomorrow night. I've been giving her water every once and a while. She seems to be awake now and is moving around. Or at least, trying to move around. Poor dear is having a hard time standing...

Kelly didn't make it. We took care of her as best as we could in her final hours, but she has sadly passed. She will be missed, but I hope she knows in some way that she was loved.

Back
Top Bottom