1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen is already dead but give me an idea of what caused it.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HeatherLynn, Nov 7, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Ok I have 4 geese in with my chickens, or I had until this morning. We found a chicken dead inside the coop. No marks on it other than all its feathers were ripped out of its entire back. All it had left was tail feathers. Poor girl. She looked like she was beaten to death. This would have had to happen at night. I locked them all up last night and everyone was fine. She was not bleeding just looked a bit raw from being plucked. Could this have been from the geese. My mother thinks so, which is why her geese are now in a temporary shelter until they can be relocated to a different enclosed area on our farm with their own housing. ( it was due to be done sometime before spring, its just been moved up now)

I just would not think that having your feather plucked out would kill you. No blood, nada. Just a poor naked raw looking bird. There were no signs of illness but this was an older bird.

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

My white embdens were raping my hens and leaving them naked and dead in the pasture too. The young ones are just now coming of age to start to breed and will go for anything that moves. This has happened to mine to and now they are seperate. My ducks go for the chicken too. Very aggressive. So sorry.

3. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    sigh, well i guess that settles that. Same breed even. Yea I had to take the broom to one who tried to mount my hens. Well we know now and temporary housing is already up and a new run and coop for them is already in the works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by