1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen is Being Ostracized

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by merrymutts, Jun 19, 2016.

1. merrymutts

merrymutts Out Of The Brooder

I have a problem with Ginger.

She is an older Red hen that has been part of the established flock for over a year now.

A few weeks ago, Ginger got out and did not return till next afternoon. She'd had a minor injury to her comb area and her left eye is closed.

Lately she has been totally ostracized by the rest of the flock; they would not let her off the roost ...even to get into the nesting box. I had separate food and water in the house for her.

Lately it's been so hot and still the others will not even let Ginger leave the house at all.

I had a separate chick house that I put her in this evening with her own food and water and hope this passes. Any thoughts or ideas as to why this has happened ?

2. Newbee58

Newbee58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2016
    Central, Utah
    She probably lost her status in the flock. I also understand that other birds pick on the injured birds. So its good that you separated her until her injury gets better. Then you may have to reintroduce her to flock with the see but no touch method.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by