Hen is ?choking? on something... Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chick_In_The_Burbs, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Scrambles has something stuck in her throat. She's making this hacking sound but can still breath. At first she really sounded distressed but then it shifted or something and now she's trying to eat but still making this hacking sound and weezing. What can we do?

Scrambles is an 8ish months old.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you can't see anything to pull out of there, I'd probably try a bit of bread with some veggie oil on it.

3. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Quote:Ok, DH is trying it now...

Ok, she ate the bread. We have her seperated into a cat carrier so she doesn't try and eat anything else that might block things up worse and she has a dish of water.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  4. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    I have had a light brahma who has sounded this way for months.... She is a mature bird. Still eats and forages around but makes this coughing/wheezing sorta of noise... almost like a brochial thing... I isolated her at first, but as soon as I put her elsewhere she was fine..Seems worse when more of the birds are around, she is stressed or when I have added new bedding.... not sure if it is a reactive airway thing....hope your girl gets over hers!!!

5. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Ok, she's breathing normally now. I'm going to have to remember this trick for the future! We're going to wait a bit, give her some more oil-bread and let her back with her flock-mates. I just hope whatever it was she ate is more along the line of a twig and not a screw or nail or something. DH has been doing construction in the back yard (the new coop), so it could be either... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by