Hen is Clucky for a few weeks. HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by love_stuz, Dec 7, 2012.

1. love_stuz

love_stuz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    Hi,
    My hen has been clucky for the past few weeks, and i thought she would just get over it (first time chicken owner by the way), but she hasnt. So last night i researched how to get her of the cluck, and i saw that they can potentially die if they are left untreated for too long. So i really want her to stop soon, but i do not know what to do. I have researched the wire basket hanging thing, but i do not have the material needed. Also i have 2 other chickens in the coop with her.

Please help

THANKYOU!

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry, but I've just never heard the terms "clucky" or "get off the cluck". What does it mean?

3. KatGold

KatGold Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    I think clucky is another term for broody.

4. love_stuz

Nov 13, 2011
    yes she has been broody

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    OK... so is your hen sat on any eggs or is she just sat in a nesting box without eggs?

If she has eggs she should be be separated from your other hens.

If she is sat in the box without eggs... does she get off of the nest to eat and drink?

She will not die if she eats and drinks... you need to make sure she gets off of the nest at least morning and evening to eat, drink and exercise.... if she refuses.... take her away from the nesting box - she will eventually eat, drink and get over her broody feelings... 21 days is average to get over the broodiness, however one of mine went 51 days!

Good luck!

Suzie

6. love_stuz

Nov 13, 2011
    Thankyou, this has helped. She sits on fake eggs, i have removed her from the coop now, so hopefully she gets over it soon :)

7. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

I would remove the fake eggs. Perhaps if they're gone, she won't be so apt to go broody.

8. MS VAL

MS VAL New Egg

Dec 14, 2012
    I was told by a chicken breeder, if you dont want your hens to set, give them an aspirin, it will break the heat cycle. I dont know the doseage,since I havent had this problem. Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by