Hen is crowing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mstkseavey, Jul 27, 2013.

1. mstkseavey

mstkseavey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2013
    Belleville, IL
    My blue splash polish just FREAKED me out! She is crowing! Or something that sounds like crowing! She (or maybe he) is about 14 weeks! I know she is a bit neurotic but this is crazy! Is she really a ROO?

2. mstkseavey

Jun 4, 2013
    Belleville, IL
    [​IMG]
    What do you think? Roo or hen?

3. Gen9

Gen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    NC
    Post a pic of another one you have the same age

4. tashayar

tashayar New Egg

Dec 4, 2010
    Hens can make a lot of noise sometimes- they will often crow an "alarm" call when they spot a cat, hawk, or something they perceive as a threat. They will frequently crow after laying an egg- it's like the hen version of "I Am Woman".

5. mstkseavey

Jun 4, 2013
    Belleville, IL
    I am hoping that she is a SHE. And we did have strangers in the yard. But it sounded like a roo!

6. mstkseavey

Jun 4, 2013
    Belleville, IL
    I only have one blue splash polish so posting another picture wouldn't do us any good! :(

7. Gen9

Gen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    NC
    The only way I could tell I had a male polish is because I had 2, the other was a female. The male got his wattles in way before she did, that was how I found out. They weren't the same looking, the female was golden laced, the male was black and red. I have a leghorn hen that a lot of people think is a rooster because she has a very large comb (but she has small wattles). For a couple years I didn't have a roo, the head honcho in my flock does do some roo-ish type things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by