1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hen is digging a lil hole in the straw on the floor is she gonna lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken_Addict, May 3, 2007.

1. Chicken_Addict

Chicken_Addict Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Kellyville Oklahoma
    ok my hen i believe a hen lol

anyways we have straw down on the floor of coop for bedding it is covering a dirt floor..she is digging a hole and sitting in it does this mean she is going to start laying soon or does it mean anything at all? just thought i would ask....thanks

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

She could be getting ready to lay. Have you noticed her comb and waddle becoming a brighter red?

3. Chicken_Addict

Apr 21, 2007
    Kellyville Oklahoma
    um not really but i havent really looked she is a assorted bantam and she is 3-4 months old so i have nc:( i just cant figure out wth she is digging a hole?

4. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Usually a hen starts to lay at about 18-20 weeks, so yours is still a bit young. She may just be practicing her nesting skills.[​IMG]

5. Chicken_Addict

Apr 21, 2007
    Kellyville Oklahoma
    hmmmm maybe thats it lmao i actually checked for an egg he he he [​IMG] i cant wait!!! any signs i should look for that she is gettig ready to start laying?

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

She could just be making a place to dust in the straw... mine do that for some odd reason... even though straw is nothing like good ol sand...

7. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Is she squatting yet? That's another sure sign that eggs are on the way.
    Stephanie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by