Hen is dragging her behind

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ZenHenMama, Sep 2, 2016.

1. ZenHenMama

ZenHenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2013
    Hi, My 4 year old hen is walking funny. Her rear end is hanging low, and it looks like she's creeping along. She eats and drinks ok. I think she is probably defecating ok although I haven't verified that yet. I've felt her body and I don't feel anything solid or abnormal like being egg bound. But I haven't experienced what that looks like. She does have on on both sides under her legs where she has plucked the area clear of feathers, I don't believe she is in molt yet, but I suppose that is possible. Her vent looks clear with maybe some extra little bit of normal looking mucus but no obvious maladies. In the area of the plucked feathers, one side area looks somewhat reddened. She can't run away from me which previously she was very good at. She's had this a couple of days that I've noticed. Can anyone help me identify what is going on?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos?
    Is her abdomen fluid filled, how does it feel?
    How old is she?

She may have an internal laying/reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, tumors or cancer.
    Make sure she is eating and drinking and let us know how she's doing.

3. ZenHenMama

Oct 1, 2013
    Ok I think my hen is actually only 3 years old. I looked at her today. She is still hanging her butt. She seems alert but does not have her usual ability to get away. I flipped her over and looked carefully. Her lower tail end seems to be red. No bugs. I felt her her again I still don't feel any masses in her like an egg. She did emit a little after I handled her a white foamy excretion from her vent. She is still eating and drinking and getting around, I did have to chase her to get her, but she is not her usual speed. my instinct is that she has an infection of some sort. What do you suggest that I try?

4. ZenHenMama

Oct 1, 2013
    Oh wow, after I got done posting the last message I went out to take pictures but it's starting to get dark and they are already trying to go to bed. I had noticed that Blackie had been sitting still in the run below the coop. So when I went to find them she and her sister were already in the coop. Blackie had gone all the way back to the nest box. I put down the lid and went around to the other side to check on her and on the way I noticed where she had been sitting earlier was a deformed egg. It was soft shell and torn in half. It had egg white but no yolk. There was no blood or any other residue, just the torn open egg. After I threw that away I went to check on her in the nest box. She had already moved off it and there was nothing to see. Now it was getting really dark out out and so I petted her but she did not want to leave the coop. Every other bird was now in the coop and I watched her jump up onto the roost for the night. So pictures will happen tomorrow. I would say over all that her energy seemed like she was getting stronger rather than weaker. So i would conclude that she is not egg bound, but what else would be going on?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by