Hen is dripping clear fluid from her vent...Icky pics!

EHaus

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2010
Anchorage
1) What type of bird , age and weight. Buff Orp, about 6 months old
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Is dripping clear fluid from vent, and has whitish stalactites on feathers below. She has laid a couple of huge, double-yolk eggs, and the last time was last week. She was bobbing her tail after that, but the discharge is recent. She seems to be laying as usual for her.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? About 3 days
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. A red spot to the left of her vent, like a peck mark
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. We're having a warm turn in the weather...jump of 40 degrees for the past few days.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. She seems to be eating and drinking fine. 20% layer crumbles with cracked corn as a treat.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal poop.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None, just watching. Will try a bath today.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? To treat myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use oat straw

When I went outside to take a picture of her, I lifted her up and took one, then I lifted her tail and saw that her vent has a red blob sticking out of it.
sad.png

I didn't touch it. I don't know if I should give her a bath now.

65318_chicken_butt_01.jpg

65318_chicken_butt_02.jpg

Yeah, I'm treating as a prolapse first. Gave her a good bath, clipped the poopiest feathers and rubbed her vent with honey...something I read on here! Who knew?
But if it's gleet, the only symptom she has is the reddened and swollen vent tissue and soiled feathers. Right after her bath, she dropped a nice, firm, green and white poo!
I'll check her throat and see what it looks like.
Thanks to all of you, for your helpfulness.

Last edited:
Start putting 1to4 tab. of ACV in 1 gallon of her water a day. I use 1 Tab. to 1 gallon of water but wouldn't hurt to use 4 Tab. to 1 gallon until healed. My chickens and ducks get ACV in their water everyday.

only thing is if it is vent gleet, which is a yeast infection the honey would be feeding the yeast helping them to grow more, so make sure it is not that before you add any more honey, which is used to treat a prolaspe, prep. H is used also and would npot feed any bugs.

Quote:
My understanding is that honey will not feed the yeast. Sugar will, but honey does not break down the way sugar will to feed yeast. Same principle applies to making kombucha or keffir, can't use honey because it wont feed the culture.

Give your hen some probiotics, either as unsweetened live-culture yogurt or kefir or the kind you add to water. Vent gleet is a sign of yeast overgrowth inside her body as well.

Plain live culture yogurt (any probiotic) is also good directly on the area, if there is yeast present. Just as you eat yogurt or drink buttermilk while/after taking antibiotics. Won't hurt, anyway. Even if there is a prolapse, which is what the red blob sounds like, there could well be yeast present, too.

You do know that if there is a prolapse, you need to push it back in, right?

Back
Top Bottom