Hen is eating and drinking in middle of the night

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cxs918, Jan 2, 2014.

1. cxs918

cxs918 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    Rehoboth, Ma
    I was reviewing threads and didn't see this topic so hoping someone has experienced this.... One of my hens in particular and sometimes my rooster have been seen up in the middle of the night - 2 am eating and drinking! They seem happy as can be and healthy - we spend a lot of time with them, we only have 3 so I know they eat and drink during the day but not sure why she is up at night. Its the middle of the winter in New England also so its quite cold! Their coop is nice and warm and secure. We have a water heater so the water never freezes up. Any ideas?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

This is normal if you have a light on.

3. cxs918

Aug 27, 2013
    Rehoboth, Ma
    I should have stated that - no lights on - this is also the same hen that lays her eggs sometimes during the day in front of us while we are outside spending time with them :)

4. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Is there ambient light seeping into the coop, such as from an exterior security light or a back porch light? That may be enough light to allow them to eat and drink.

I'd think there'd have to be light from somewhere if people are able to see them do this.

5. cxs918

Aug 27, 2013
    Rehoboth, Ma
    So I was looking around and my backyard is pretty dark w exception of moonlight and a streetlight which is about 500 feet away. We have a sunroom and at night we often look out from there to make sure the chickens are doing well because we are new to chicken keeping and have had weasels and Fisher cats in our yard during the day = slight paranoia. So I would say we turn that light on 1-2 Times a night. What just popped into my mind was Christmas lights around the outline of the house! I bet that did it! They were pulled down yesterday so maybe that will help, although she was up last night !

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes they are just like people getting up for a midnight snack of a cookie LOL if they can see to do it.

1 person likes this.
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If I go in my coop at night, the birds often take the flashlight as a cue to hop down and get a snack. I'm guessing there was some light, if you could see them doing it. I'm thinking you need to quit worrying and get some sleep, though!

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by