Hen is either a ticking bomb or what? Broody? [HATCHING Pg. 2]

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Charles07, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Charles07

Charles07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Sheridan, Indiana
    So I go outside about noon today to give table scraps and check on the water supply. I toss in the scraps and do a head count. All accounted for, but I then notice that 1 of my New Hampshires is acting funny. She ignores the treats, puffs out her feathers, squawks and runs off.

Curious, I follow her around the corner and find her standing near a secondary water bowl that I break out for the summer heat. She is shaking her rear area and I notice an awful smell. Oh well, I ignore it and top off the water bowl.

I then discovered that I had stepped in a pile of poop. I later told my wife that it looked like it came from a medium sized dog. I was worried, thinking that she was ill.

Anyway, I check on the meat birds and before I go back inside I decide that I will get an estimate on our daily egg haul. 16 beauties sitting in their usual spot. I realized that I didn't collect them from the day before. The maximum I usually get is 9-10 from my adult layers

About an hour later I go back outside to collect the eggs and find Miss Vibrating Butt sitting on the pile. I leave her alone. Usually once a week I have to wait and come back later because of a late layer.

I check the next hour, and the next and the next, until finally at about 8 PM I got out yet again thinking surely she must be gone. No. She is still there. As a test, I reach my hand slowly towards her. She puffed out her feathers and squawked at me.

I know I will find out tomorrow, one way or the other, but are the signs there?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

All the signs indicate: Broody.

Huffy, puffy, growling, bogarting the eggs, yaaah. And broody poop is just AWFUL

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    shes broody [​IMG]

4. MissD'uccle

MissD'uccle Cluck of My Life

Dec 16, 2009
    Elba Twp, MI
    COMPLETELY agree... they're soo funny when they're broody. And Yes, broody poop is the worst smell ever..and giant!

5. Charles07

Apr 10, 2010
    Sheridan, Indiana
    [​IMG]

What is ironic is that I just finished my test run (successful) in the new incubator. I had just cleaned it out and stabilized the temperature for the next run. I was going to use those eggs for the next batch.

Anyway, I put another box in the coop with a plastic egg in it just in case. That way the others will have a place to lay...assuming they get the idea.

Maybe tomorrow evening I can set the incubator. [​IMG]

If all goes well, I will soon be overrun with chickens.

6. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I would mark what she has under her now with a pencil so that if others add to it you can remove them so you won't have a staggered clutch, or so many she can't handle them. She'll jump off when the first ones hatch and any extras will fail if they're good.

7. Charles07

Apr 10, 2010
    Sheridan, Indiana
    Quote:I have to ask.

Besides the obvious use of a pencil, how do I do that? Won't she freak out if I go near her? Wait for her once a day gorge-fest?

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Moving slowly, talking softly and reassuringly, reach under her and remove the eggs, mark them with the pencil, put them back, thank her for her patience. Even if she doesn't display any. [​IMG]

I was lucky with my broody, Buffy. She pecked me the first time I reached under her, but every time after that she did "air pecks" and didn't connect. Just a warning.

9. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, if you can do it while she's off the nest that's good, or like gryeyes said if you can, or if she's really stressed by it, wait till it's full dark and using a flashlight covered with a cloth so it's barely enough for you to see by, do it after dark. Chickens are practically comatose if they can't see.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  10. Charles07

Apr 10, 2010
    Sheridan, Indiana
    I completely forgot about the darkness option.

I will try it in daylight first though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by