Hen is Freaking out

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jesseschickens, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    My almost 2 yearold Red sex link named Peep is really upset. Latley I havent gotten very many eggs and im finding them in really weird places. Today when i went to collect eggs I found her sitting in a stack of extra wood from building our porch laying an egg.As soon as i came to see her she got up and ran to me. I checked where she was and there was two eggs. I moved the boards to collect them and when i was done 5 minutes later she started squaking and i cant get her to stop. I dont have a rooster so she isnt broody and she has already molted. How do I comfort Peep. thank you for your helpful anwsers in advance.[​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

What's your nest box situation? Do you have enough nest boxes?

If mine were laying in the wrong place, I'd close them up in the coop for a few days in the mornings only until they laid their eggs in the right spot.

You don't have to have a roo to go broody.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

& check out the coop thoroughly for an unwelcome visitor. Maybe something is scaring her.
    Imp

4. Jesseschickens

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    I have six boxes. Some of my hens lay there eggs really late at night and if I shut them in they peck eachother bald that is why they have a huge run now. We got rid of are rhode Island red roo

5. Jesseschickens

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    I was just up there the only other thing in there beside food and water is Her sisters! She talks alot to begine with but se is upset and she usally talks cause she is happy or wants my attention her song sounds too diffrent to be wanting my attention or because she is happy.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Oh well if they are pecking each other that wouldn't be good to close them up for all day.... [​IMG]

I don't know what else to tell you!!!

7. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    Too bad they cannot talk. We had a mink attack and one of the hens followed us all around while we tried to find holes. She kept up squawking, telling us all about the attack I'm sure, but we could not understand.

I also tend to think there is something scary about the coop's nest boxes. I could not tell you what though.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  9. Jesseschickens

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    i dust them and check them for mites and lice once a week She is usally a very calm hen mabey her sisters arnt letting her in a box some of them are teritorial could that have any thing to do with it?[​IMG]:jumpy:yiipchick

10. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    Quote:Her eggs don't need to be fertile for her to be broody. Some hens get broody over golf balls with nary a rooster in sight. She may be "mad" at you for taking her stash of eggs. Is she still setting?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by