Hen is Frisky and Agressive?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NorthEndFarmer, Jul 10, 2010.

1. NorthEndFarmer

NorthEndFarmer New Egg

Jul 10, 2010
    Our oldest hen is 15 weeks old and this week she started to be frisky with me by dancing and dropping her wings. She has also become very aggressive towards me by biting my hands and even ran up to attack me this morning. We raised her from an egg and she is usually very nice.

Isn't she young to be ready to lay? And do hens become aggressive when they are closer to laying their first eggs?

- North End Farmer

2. CheshieChick13

CheshieChick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you sure it's not a Rooster?

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Yeah, that sounds like rooster behavior. I'm pretty sure that's not a hen - I'm sorry. Hens don't get more aggressive when they start laying. I actually find the opposite to be true - they tend to calm down instead. Can you post a picture to be sure?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  4. NorthEndFarmer

NorthEndFarmer New Egg

Jul 10, 2010
    Oh don't say that... [​IMG] I already have 4 roosters that I need to find a new home for.

Actually, her comb and waddle are very red and the skin under her neck is becoming full and red. Maybe she is a he but she's been very mild tempered.

I will keep you posted.

- North End Farmer

5. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    The dancing, etc. sound very much like rooster behavior, I'm afraid.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    [​IMG]

Yep, sounds like a late blooming rooster. On a good note, I rehomed 4 roosters last weekend by listing them on the local Craig's List.

7. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    I have a few cockerels that has done the same thing to me. They aren't aggressive towards me anymore. The older cockerels I broke them by picking them up and carrying them around and since they hate being carried around, they stopped because I told them if they don't like it then quit attacking me.

Now with the younger cockerels, I had to resort to giving them a swift kick and now they don't get the least bit aggressive. That could change as they get older though but if they do, then they will be butchered and placed in the freezer. No way is an aggressive chicken going to stay around here.

I firnly believe that my chickens understand me in what I say

8. NorthEndFarmer

NorthEndFarmer New Egg

Jul 10, 2010
    Okay Okay... Over the past few days it's become obvious that she's a he. He's actually the oldest of the bunch and the latest to blossom. So, now we are stuck with 5 roosters and 2 hens. What are the odds of that occurring from hatching our own? Maybe I got a bad batch of eggs. [​IMG]

Now, I have to rehome them and hate the thought of them becoming someones dinner. I guess it's inevitable.

- North End Farmer

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  9. Chickenfarmer 1-2-b

Chickenfarmer 1-2-b Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    I am with you there. I hatched 12 chicks total. Six chicks 18 wks ago, then another 6 one month later. I have 11 out of 12 are roosters. What is the odd of that? Everytime I turn around one of the she turns into a he and crows. They were killing me. That one hen left better not starting to crow or else I swear I will need to see a shrink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by