Hen is having weird poop. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RoosterAmy, Mar 11, 2017.

1. RoosterAmy

RoosterAmy New Egg

Mar 9, 2017
    A couple of days ago I noticed bright green/teal poop streaming down one of my chicken's rear feathers. It has now transitioned to black and gritty (old blood). I've checked for a stuck egg, nothing. Her abdomen seems a little swollen but not bad. I gave her a mix of wetted food, sour cream and apple cider vinegar. At this point I'm just hoping she'll recover because I can't find anything that describes her condition online. She is about 3yo but I have only had her for 2 weeks. She is currently in a dog crate in my garage.

Any ideas? I can't find a vet who will see a chicken and in NYS I can't get antibiotics w/o a prescription.

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Go here https://www.kvsupply.com/Search.aspx?query=Fish Mox for amoxicillin for fish that work fine for chickens. I use the 250 mg.

Your hen sounds like she has an infection. KV ships immediately and you will get the meds by UPS in just two or three days.

I always keep a supply on hand.

Meanwhile, try a bit of molasses in her water for the diarrhea. Boiled egg might help with the green poop which indicates bile from not getting enough to eat. Also yogurt would be better for her gut than sour cream.

3. RoosterAmy

RoosterAmy New Egg

Mar 9, 2017
    Thank you!!
    I only used sour cream because I had it on hand. Bought some yogurt for her today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by