Hen is hurt

smahaffey

Hatching
Feb 6, 2016
I have a 4 month old brown leg horn hen. Earlier this afternoon I noticed she is holding her
left leg up & limping bad... Well now she is letting out a squawk & holds her mouth open really wide for 10-15 seconds right after.. She'll wait a minute & do that same thing again. I thought it was just a hurt leg before (I've had 1 hen last year hurt her leg & she was fine within a month.. But she didn't do the weird squawk that this one is doing. Is she doing this out of pain from her leg or is there something else wrong with her?

Since she is holding the leg up and not dragging it or putting weight on it, it sounds like a sprain or a broken bone. She is probably screaming due to pain. I would place her in a crate with food and water to force her to rest the leg for at least a week. Check for any dark sores on the footpad, or any swelling or bruising on the foot, leg, or joints. Add some vitamins or BComplex to her food and water. Sprains or broken bones can take several weeks to heal. You can use a baby aspirin twice daily given orally if needed for pain. A vet could prescribe meloxicam and Xray the leg. Splinting would only help if there was a broken bone.

Thank you! I have her in a smal area already. I think she just sprained it as none of her bones seem very broken. I think I will try the baby aspirin for her pain. she will put very little weight on it to move but that's it.

Back
Top Bottom