Hen is incredibly sick (gape worm)??

Jochicknsaver

Chirping
Oct 3, 2019
Chattanooga
Hey everyone, I became a member about 2 and a half weeks ago (it was due time!) Ok so n e way, my in laws have a flock of about 15 or so, and 1 of there hens a 3 year old rhodie was attacked viciously by her flock mates, they pecked a hole in her head ripped her feathers out, really sad so my inlaws called me over a week after separating her they noticed she layed in the same spot all day, so I took her home to get well in my makeshift chicken hospital bin inside my washroom she's eating and drinking extremely well and I've had her now about a week n 3 days, though I've been pushing nutrients in her she's still emaciated? And I noticed 2 days ago water leaking from her beak after she drinks and leans down to eat?? I checked her crop (emptying normal) she's pooping and preening but she's become increasingly lethargic? She has not layed a egg with me and in laws say she did not lay the week she was separated. I checked for egg bound but nothing? We've built her a special pen and upon watching her for a time I noticed she shakes her head a awful lot! And caught her a few times stretching her neck and gaping her mouth? her comb went from a lighter red to now almost pink\white?? The first 3 days I had her she struggled walking like a leg might be sore? So I had a little meloxicam from (nell the disabled roosters bout with the fox) and gave her less than half of what nell was given this seemed to help a lot I've also been giving her probiotics along with a lil Kefir, tons of veggies and fruit, crazy amounts of treats, and of course chicken feed. I have tried to narrow down everything it isn't with hopes of finding what it actually is? I've been thinking something caused her to weaken which I believe brought on the attack? If it's a parasite maybe that's the reason? But could she survive this long? Any ideas what might be going on with her?? Why can't she gain weight And can only keep her eyes open 5 mins at a time? The beak leaking And head shaking? Anemic appearance? This is why I drew the conclusion of gape worm?? And y'all she is the sweetest lil thing, she makes these buh buh buh sounds when I feed her and almost like a coo when I talk to her! Its adorable! I'll do whatever I have to do to save her, thanks guys

Gape worm she would be extending her neck just to breath, she probably has a worm overload though even with it appearing she may have gape worm but not sure what to give for gape worm so I'm tagging someone that does. Do you have a vet that would do a fecal float test? If not they may dispense Valbazen it's .5 bl for 5 lb bird given with syringe orally once then again in 10 days, other options are safe guard dewormer for goats but cannot remember the dosage.

@Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock
@casportpony

Pictures of her injuries and poo will help. If the other attacked her there maybe something wrong internally (but who know they are ). I would give her more feed or even softened feed th and treats. Sounds like she may not be drinking but trying. With the water coming out of her beak, not sure what you can try other than giving her a drop at a time to make sure she is staying hydrated. (Water with electrolytes). Others will chime in soon to give more advice soon

Another thought is if she got even slightly dehydrated she could be plugged up, My chickens wen not feeling well have loved a bit of coconut oil to eat and a bit of minced Garlic.

Didn't see any mention of poo issues or not, Worms you won't see without a microscope, but a heavy overload would be taking all the nutrition she is eating from here and can kill but a sever overload of worms could aslo cause same symptoms as they live in the gut and prefer to stay inside, and could also be pushing on the lungs for room.

Pictures of her injuries and poo will help. If the other attacked her there maybe something wrong internally (but who know they are ). I would give her more feed or even softened feed th and treats. Sounds like she may not be drinking but trying. With the water coming out of her beak, not sure what you can try other than giving her a drop at a time to make sure she is staying hydrated. (Water with electrolytes). Others will chime in soon to give more advice soon
Thats a great point, and I honestly didn't consider whatever she drinks may all be leaking out and giving her no chance of hydration, i have been mixing sav-a-chick eloctrolytes with her water since taking her home. But maybe thats just giving her enough to keep her alive?? My concern initially was maybe she had a virus of some sort but wouldn't her flockmates showed some signs as well? And would she have lived this long?? I will send photos in a couple hours (gotta attend a class on campus) as soon as I walk in ill take some photos of her, her injuries and some poop, thank you so much for the advice

Have you checked her over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Have you checked her over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).
Thanks aart I will definitely research lice/mites and do exactly what you directed tonite, ive examined her little body quite a bit but external parasites could be the reason for the emaciation and look of anemia. Thank you for your help trying to figure out what is going on here thats making her so sick

Hey guys here are a few pics i took 1 of what I think is the freshest poop, 1 is her head injury which is over 3 weeks after the attack, there is also 1 of where feathers were pulled out but most has grown in, please excuse the mess also, she stays in a big bin i cover the bottom with hay and I bought her a heating pad she messed up the original but that is the blue thing in it, i keep it on low and she sleeps on it all night, this girl is a fighter! Shes never had the chance to be spoiled and loved unconditionally, i will spoil and love her simply for the fighter in her and because she makes me happy, i have made it clear when she pulls through she stays with me, I got a little flack cause they say shes there best layer!! But they gave in, so shes going to live out her life with me, im optimistic and really hopeful for her and thanks everybody for the help and support

Attachments

• 20191010_102847.jpg
    20191010_102847.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20191010_102933.jpg
    20191010_102933.jpg
    489.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20191010_102954.jpg
    20191010_102954.jpg
    535 KB · Views: 25
  • 20191010_103014.jpg
    20191010_103014.jpg