Hen is keeping her baby warm

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickadde, Apr 14, 2011.

1. chickadde

chickadde Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    I just went out to check on the eggs there is four eggs under my chicken today being day 20 and one of the eggs in broke in half empty laying next to her. I'm guessing baby is keeping warm under mama. How long before they come out and walk around? This is my first time experiencing my hen brooding so I let her do it all on her own. She is such a good mama!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

How cute! After mine hatched I picked up the mama and looked for the chick. I found it stuffed WEAY under her wing.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Usually all the eggs hatch within a couple days and then she will leave the nest at times. You might be able to lift her feathers up a bit to take a look, but she will probably give you a peck.

4. chickadde

chickadde Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Should I remove the shell at first it was laying next to her and now I just went out there and the shell is gone. I don't know if it is under her as well. I'm trying not to disturb her too much.

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    You can remove it if you want, but if you don't feel like disturbing her, i don't think it will hurt anything.

6. skya328

skya328 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Congrats! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I had some babies under a broody start hatching yesterday. I took the two empty egg shells out but that's because I was already in there messing with the mama!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by