Hen is laying fertilized eggs. Take it leave eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PortugalBantam, Nov 10, 2014.

1. PortugalBantam

PortugalBantam Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2014
    Portugal
    My hen has laid two eggs in the last two days. I'm sure they are fertilized. My question is: should I just leave the eggs and hope that she sets after laying a few more or should I take the eggs and save them until she or another hen "goes broody"?

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Take them. You never know when a hen is going to go broody. If you want to hatch chicks on your time, you'll want to get an incubator. If it doesn't matter to you when you get chicks, hang onto the eggs and wait for a broody.

3. PortugalBantam

Nov 8, 2014
    Portugal

I was always under the impression that if you leave the eggs the hen will go broody once she is done laying her clutch.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Not necessarily. Some hens just lay and lay and never go broody. I've also had a broody hen set on an empty nest.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  5. Thejperez

Thejperez Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Florida
    People have bread chickens to stop going broody.They want pretty show chickens not hens that keep going broody. So now people have to incubate to have offspring when the hens are not doing whats usually comes naturally. If people would stop incubating, most chicken breeds would go extinct.

6. PortugalBantam

Nov 8, 2014
    Portugal
    So I should just assume that this particular hen will not go broody?

7. Thejperez

Thejperez Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Florida
    She Might she might not.there is not a way to tell.

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You can't really assume either way. Not all hens have had broodyness bred out of them. Hatchery birds tend to go broody less than heritage birds, but I've had hatchery chickens hatch out chicks. I've also had heritage birds not go broody ever. As Ridgerunner always says, they are living animals and you can't predict what they're going to do every time. Every chicken is different.

Here's what I would do. I would keep collecting the eggs, keeping them fairly cool but not necessarily refrigerated, and see what happens. If I wanted to be hatching chicks out ASAP, I'd get an incubator. If I don't really care when or if I had chicks hatching, I'd just keep the most fresh eggs available in case a hen does go broody and give them to her. If she doesn't go broody, I'd keep making angel food cake, omelettes and whatever else I can think to use those eggs for.

You're the only one who can decide what to do. What are your goals for your flock? Are you breeding a specific bird? Do you want chicks soon? Do you have a plan for the extra cockerels you're going to get? Do you have room for more chickens?

9. PortugalBantam

Nov 8, 2014
    Portugal

Thank you for your response. I definite do t want to use an incubator. I guess my thought is that if I keep taking this particular hens eggs I may actually be preventing her from going broody. Isn't that so?

As far as my goals with my flock. It's strictly for fun. I like to mix and match different types of birds to see what different traits get passed down to the chicks.

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    No - like I said, I've had broodies sit in an empty nest box before. I give them a day or two to make sure they really mean it, then I give them eggs. Or, a broody will hop into the *ONE* nest box that everyone uses (there are plenty of other options, but apparently only ONE will work) and growl at me when I pick the eggs. She will usually stay there whether there are eggs under her or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by