Hen is laying her eggs while on the roost!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by callahanbullock, Oct 16, 2016.

1. callahanbullock

callahanbullock Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    Kirkland, WA
    I have one hen laying eggs currently, but she's only been laying for around 6 days. The issue is, she seems to keeo laying them while she is on her roost, and the eggs fall down and sometimes break open (and they possibly eat some, of the egg as well, though I'm not sure). I don't think she really "gets" the whole nest box thing. I just want to know if anyone has an idea of what to do about this? I set up a little nest box on the ground to see if she will try in there, since the nest boxes built in the coop are set a bit higher.

Thank you!

2. JenniferCNY

JenniferCNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    When is she laying her eggs?

Do her eggs have hard shells or are they rubber eggs?

Have you tried putting fake eggs in the nesting boxes?

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Its normal when they start laying

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Nothing to be worried about my chicken did it too

5. callahanbullock

callahanbullock Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    Kirkland, WA
    Jennifer, she lays them in the afternoon, but the shells are pretty strong. I tried putting little balls in the nest boxes but I don't think she gets it. I might try to find actual fake eggs though maybe.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    If possible, you could try moving her to a nest, when she settles on the roost to lay. If you do that a few times, then she will hopefully get the idea. I did that with one of my hens, who decided that laying in the outside sink was a good idea and it worked. It could also be that she feels threatened at the thought of using the nest boxes. I'm sure that with a little time, she will be be fine.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Can you post a pic of your nests that are a bit higher?
    Usually pullets start investigating the nests well or right before they are ready to lay.....
    ...maybe she can't get into nests comfortably?

8. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Cracker Barrel (if you have one near you) sells fake ceramic eggs. I have all brown layers, so I bought the "white" eggs to put in the nest boxes. Worked like a charm for me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by