Hen is lethargic, vent is Really poopy, egg-bound?

pixie546

Chirping
12 Years
Dec 16, 2010
Leonardtown, MD
Hi! I am brand new (hello) and have enjoyed reading posts, so thanks! I am new to chickens. One of our hens is very lethargic and will move around, but only in baby steps. Her vent is super-poopy but there is no blood. We are on 10 acres and she hides her eggs very well (grrr) so I can't even tell if she has quit laying and is egg bound. I am home alone right now and it just started to snow, so I'm going to get the baby cage and bring her into the bathroom for closer observation. She hasn't been jumping up into the coop with the others, just sitting on the floor outside, so I am assuming it is umcomforable for her to fly/jump. The coop door is about 3.5 feet off the ground and she's never had a problem before. Soooooo. ... There it is. What do you think? P.S. her name is Julia.

Welcome! Sorry your first post had to be a problem. Separating her is a great idea. If she is real mess, you might want to soak her in warm water. Strangely, she will like it! This will clean her up, so you can further examine her and might help her expel an egg, if she is egg bound. She might not be going into the coop because she is ill. Chances are the others are picking on her- Lots of info on egg bound/internal layer. Others will chime in with ideas. Good luck- keep us posted.

When I went out to get her she was laying on her side with her feet splayed out- I thought she was dead! When I went to pick her up she jumped up and tried to get away, so I brought her in and put her in the tub. She had a little frostbite on her comb! My chicken-loving sister just got home and we are going to bathe her and see whats going on. At least she's all warm now. We have given her some powdered chicken antibiotic and some water with a syringe. She didn't squawk like it hurt her when we pushed on her tummy. So who knows. She could just be sick. Maybe she'll lay an egg for us since she's confined now and that will answer that question!! The only reason I'm worried she could be egg-bound is that I'm expecting the worst and I don't know any better! So I'll let you know ASAP!

Hello Pixie.
How is Julia doing? Did the warm water soak help her out? I hope that she is feeling better.
My Briget (Buff Orpington) just passed away with some of the very same symptoms....I am glad to have
read about the warm water soak although I am sorry that it was from your girl being ill.
Perhaps that will help if either of us have chickens who encounter the same sickness.
Please keep us posted on your poor sick girl! Kate

Last edited:
Hi! Sorry I took so long to reply--- work all day then....chicken bathtime again. We bathed her last night, and this morning there were some runny poops but no egg. We bathed her tonight and really let her soak. She seems very alert and aware, just quiet. We didn't have to hold her in the water or anything. She stayed in for a good 30-45 minutes just hanging out. She seemed like she was trying to push so we let her stay in as long as she wanted. No egg though. We dried her off, and she ate 2 stinkbugs, some wet cat food, and some yogurt!
smile.png
So that seems promising I guess. I have never felt a chicken abdomen so I can't tell what are organs and if there is an egg problem in there or not. We are going to feel the healthy hens tummies tomorrow and see if we notice a difference. So I'll post again tomorrow. C'mon EGG!
73982_julia.jpg

How cute she looks! It surprised me the first time I bathed a chicken- who would imagine they would enjoy it?? Hoping all is well today!

So no change in Julia. We let her outside today thinking maybe she'd try to lay outside, but she just mostly stood there. Her tail was up a little today and she pecked some corn, but at dusk she never tried to roost, so we brought her back inside. I'm not sure what to do because she's still not laying and I've read that being eggbound is very painful and I don't want her to die like that, but we can't bring ourselves to do it just yet. She is pooping, so maybe there is no blockage. Who knows? Will give another bath tonight. Has anyone heard of using vinegar to dissolve an eggshell? Would that work on a eggbound chicken? Acid dissolves calcium so theoretically maybe vinegar would dissolve any shell and the mass would just slide right out. More later.....

Back
Top Bottom