Hen is lethargic with eyes closed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Growmyown, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Growmyown

Growmyown Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2013
    Anyone have any advise?

English Orpington is lethargic with eyes closed. This morning when I let them out everything seemed to be fine. I was cleaning around the coop and noticed she had one eye closed but was still moving around like normal. About an hour later, I saw her laying down with both eyes closed. Normally she would get up when I go in the run but she just continued to lay there. I have moved her to a crate in the garage and have been giving her water (with electrolytes and vitamins) from a syringe. She will drink some and then falls asleep. I also just scrambled an egg and got her to eat a few bites by basically shoving it in her mouth and then she swallows it. She will stand on her own but just seems to want to sleep.

Some other things to note:
    - She is 3.5 months and has not started laying.
    - Her poop is solid but greenish and partially white
    - No sign of blood in poop
    - No wheezing/coughing
    - Eyes seem clear when I check and/or she does open them briefly
    - She has been eating non-medicated chick starter food and some veggie scraps
    - Weight seems to be the same as some of the other healthy birds
    - No sign of mites
    - Not exactly sure I am checking correctly but I don't think her crop is full/hard

Does anyone have any advise?

Thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This is a hard one without obvious signs. She still could have coccidiosis at this age, so I might start by treating her with Corid. Blood is only present in 2 strains of cocci. Worms can also be a problem in summertime especially, and I would use SafeGuard Goat Wormer or Valbazen 1/2 ml orally, then repeat in 10 days. The closed eyes could be irritated. Check her eyes, nostrils for any discharge or eye bubbles, any sneezing or chest rattles. Make sure that she is not paralyzed or weak in one or both legs.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X 2. Tough to diagnose, but then chickens so often are. I would do all the things Eggcessive mentioned, especially running a course of Corid, and see if there's any improvement.

4. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  5. Growmyown

Dec 26, 2013
    Thank you so much for responding Eggcessive! I was at Tractor Supply earlier today and was overwhelmed with what I should purchase to help her. I went back after reading your response only to find out they didn't carry any of it. Luckily Rural King is right next door and they had both SafeGuard Goat Wormer and Corid. I gave her the 1/2 ml of wormer but have not started the Corid. She seemed a lot more perky this evening and was walking around the dog crate she is in with one eye open and the other kept opening for awhile and then would close again. She even ate the entire scrambled egg from my hand as if she were famished and then proceeded to drink quite a bit from her waterer. I am keeping my fingers crossed that everything turns out ok. Do you think I should start the Corid immediately or wait until morning and see how she is? If I do give it, do you have a recommended dosage? It is the liquid version that I was able to get.

6. Growmyown

Dec 26, 2013
    My computer doesn't seem to be reloading! Thanks cafarmgirl and Fancychooklady. Would you start the Corid if she seems to be doing better and do you have a recommended dosage? I am confused as the bottle gives directions for cattle.

7. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would treat with the maximum amount--2 tsp per gallon of water for 5-7 days. The nice thing about Coridi is that it won't harm, and the dosage is forgiving.

9. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    It is recommended that you dose them high for 5-7 days then drop it back to half that dose for another 5-7 days then knock it back it to a 1/4 of the original dosage for a further 5-7 days. By doing this you are building their amunity to the coccidia. :)

10. Growmyown

Dec 26, 2013
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I am happy to report that she seems back to her usual self this morning! Eyes are wide open and she is eating/drinking and having her morning conversation with me!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by