Hen is lethargic with eyes closed

Got a question for you. When you used the safe guard wormer, how many times did you give it to your chicken? I just purchased some and wasn't sure if I give it once or over several days.
Thanks

For general worming, you would use 1/2 ml orally once by mouth for a full size chicken, then repeat in 10 days to get the worm eggs. However, if you were treating more serious worms that are hard to get rid of, such as gapeworm, cecal worm, or capillaria, then I would use more--1 ml and treat for 3 days in a row, or 5 days for capillaria. Your vet could check to see what worms your chickens have.

Last edited:
Fenbendazole is poorly absorbed into the bloodstream. It is more effective in ruminants as they have a reservoir where it is retained for a longer period of time. Birds don't have this reservoir and so the residual effect is shortened- hence the reason that most vets recommend dosing over consecutive days . Fenbendazole is not detected in blood 48 hours after administration .

http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2699&Itemid=2987

So at the very least two applications 10 days apart is what I administer.

Back
Top Bottom