Hen is lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HeatherLynn, Dec 30, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    This is an australop that is over a year old. I cannot be sure her age because I got her early this summer as a full grown laying hen. Ok usually pretty skittish and active. She now is not walking. She just sits in her nest box. I can pick her up now, I sat her down to do cleaning and she just layed on the ground as a rooster mounted her. She never got up afterwards. I have checked for bugs and I did see one so I guess I need to treat for that again. I just did a regular maintenance treatment on the coop and chickens though so....no clue. Anywho she does not seem overly skinny but she is not as heavy as she was week ago. No nasal drainage but she did sneeze. That might be from my cleaning though. I did feel around for eggbound but honestly I have no clue what i am feeling for but she felt pretty normal. Any ideas on where I should start?

I have the powdered antibiotics. I am on my way for 7 dust unless you can recommend something better and easier to treat them all with. I can isolate her. The isolate crate is being prepped as I write. Any other ideas? I know of no vet nearby who will treat. I know my vet won't touch them. So treatment is on me.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I wondered whether you had wormed them -- but sounds like a leg or hip injury is also a good possibility. Perhaps she will recover with a few days of rest.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Any paleness to her comb or wattles... face? Can you feel the keel bone that goes down the chest, sticking out? Could she perhaps just be Broody? anything in her poo or abnormal color in it?

4. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I thought she was broody but she is barely moving. She did manage to get on the perch with her Roo. Her comb looks fine. Very red right now. So I would say if anything its brighter than usual. What I am afraid of is that the roo that is set to meet the ax tomorrow has hurt her ( he is rough and my husband was just waiting till his next day off to do the deed) She still feels plump, not as plump as she was but not boney either. I have not wormed her. I do use ACV in the water sometimes. Its not an every day thing. I just do it every few days or so. I may try to seperate her tomorrow. I need my hubby home to hold a roo off me while I get her. I tried to come back and grab her but she was already on the perch with the big roo and he went after me. Soo that waits till tomorrow. I just hope she makes it through the night. I did see a bug on her. I searched well and did not find more so I am hoping I caught that part early. Every bird and the coop got treated tonight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by