Hen is limping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crystal1957, Sep 23, 2010.

1. crystal1957

crystal1957 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Tallahassee
    Went out to feed everyone and one of my hens is limping--checked feet--no injuries, no obvious bumblefoot, no visible scratches, punctures, etc. that I can see... She is among 12 other hens with a rooster who is very young with small, rounded off spurs and clipped, rounded off nails...

Could not feel an egg either... I have her separate in a cage where she is quiet... and has nice soft hay.

Is her leg or hip broken--is she egg bound and I just can't feel it yet? What should I do? Don't have money for a vet... She is alert...

2. welovechickens

welovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I was just about to post the exact same thing! (except I don't have a rooster) I'll be watching this thread.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  3. crystal1957

Jun 24, 2009
    Tallahassee
    Indeed--any feedback would be helpful. Could it be a spider bite? No snakes around... Should I start with warm compresses to the vent, a little vaseline, just in case she IS eggbound? But I don't think so... I have checked her top to bottom and I am out of ideas. There are no sharp edges from fences, boxes, etc. Please help.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  4. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens get orthopedic injuries just like anyone else, and I think it may be often an awkward jump down from the roost or some such thing. I've had hens, roos, and chicks who were hopping on one foot, could not bear weight at all (I palpated for obvious fractures or sign of obvious injury and didn't find any) and within a few days they were just fine. I think these are just probably muscle strains or tendon/ligament sprains, and animals do the right thing - they stop using the injured part so it can heal. I think observation without intervention unless you have a clear idea of what the problem is is the best approach.

5. crystal1957

Jun 24, 2009
    Tallahassee
    Well, she is not eggbound--beautiful egg just a few hours ago so-ooo. She is still limping, but is in her own living space--quiet, nice fresh hay, food and water. She seems relaxed until she tries to walk and then the limp starts...

Any more ideas folks? Thanks.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with Nostalchic. It will take time, possibly a long time to heal, it just depends. You need to have patience and let her heal. Alot of rest and relaxation is needed for your hen. You can go to to a pharmacy and buy vitamin B complex caplets and crush about 3 of them into a fine powder and sprinkle it in her feed. Repeat as necessary for 4 or 5 days then stop. Start up again in 4 or 5 day increments. The vitamin B complex should help speed up the healing process. Just as long as your hen is eating and drinking...she'll be just fine.

7. Sanebychicks

Sanebychicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
    Colorful Colorado!
    I had a pullet (now hen) who came out one morning with obvious limp - no apparent injury. She limped when walking and running for several days and then it started to improve and after a couple weeks - gone completely and she is just fine. I agree with others here, I think like us, they occasionally strain something jumping around or whatever they are up to. Just keep an eye on her, I bet that she will start to improve soon. I know it is so hard not to worry - but I think you'll know if it is something worse. Good luck to you and your hen!

8. crystal1957

Jun 24, 2009
    Tallahassee
    Thank you folks--I worry, like a mother hen SMILES. She seems to be enjoying her private quarters and is eating, drinking water and laying eggs. Limp showing no signs of improvement yet.

I wish for her speedy recovery--because I have learned from experience--if a bird is quarantined for a few weeks or longer, when introduced back into the flock--is no easy matter. And is pecked for a bit, as if they don't remember the bird having ever been in the flock. And then I worry about that aspect...And another type of injury.

But I love it all, and we'll get through this. Thanks for all the support. Keep those comments coming if anyone thinks of something else.

9. jobailey25

jobailey25 Out Of The Brooder

I just had the same thing happen to my EE hen. I let them out for the day to run in the feild and the rooster and her were in the same spot. he came running as usual but she came out slowly walking and she was limping, i picked her up to see if anything was in her foot or hip but she seamed to be in tacked and there was nothing seemingly wrong. I think the rooster finally got to her and hes a big rooster.
    The rooster may have tried to mount her and she got injured i think. My rooster is twice the size and i think i might have to get ride of him, hes about 7 months now and there al,most full grown but he seams to keep growing. he has not injured any other hens, and i hate to put the blame she may have twisted her foot jumping down. Today she is still limping, what should be done and how long before i take her to the vet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by