Hen is listless and barely eating or drinking. Help/Advice?

Jbichon

Hatching
7 Years
May 23, 2012
My 6 month old Rhode Island Red named Nellie O. has completely reversed behavior is the past three days. Normally she is number 1 in the pecking order of my flock of 12 hens. Very sassy. Lately she is off by herself with eyes closed. Seems uninterested in anything. No drainage. She is noticeably lighter. She is barely eating or drinking. Tonight I had to physically put her in the coop. I have put antibiotic in their water. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First, separate her from the flock. Put her someplace that is safe. If she were mine, I would treat for coccidiosis. She is still a pullet, is she laying yet?

Using Corid, treat for 5 - 7 days. If it is Coccidiosis, she will show improvement in 24 hours. I would treat everyone. If it isn't coccidiosis, it won't hurt and if it is, it will save her life.

Welcome..sorry your first post is a sad one. Have you wormed them... That would be my first guess. Worm with safeguard liquid goat wormer or horse paste. 1/2 cc of liquid in the mouth for five days...then 3 ccs to gallon of water for all the birds. Repeat in 14 days. Give supportive care..keep warm and seperate from others with food and water near. Give poultry vitamins in water....

Thanks for the advice! I will do this - for everone. Up until Saturday she has been a reliable layer. Thank you! I love my Nellie O.!

Back
Top Bottom