Hen is lowering her head and walking backwards

mommiesrcool

Free Ranging
Jul 6, 2020
Dn
I always give my two hens a bath and today for some reason ratatouille was acting weird after.

she isn’t fully dried right now and they already went to the coop but I noticed that she keeps lowering her head and it’s like she has something on her neck and as she lowers her head/neck she moved back

and Ik that when you shower them they get off balance but she’s never done this aftet a bath but idk
Basically my question is , is that normal and like she’s okay right?

Please, only bath the butt of your chickens when it is dirty, not just for fun.

They are no ducks and regular bathing will do no good.

As it is molting time, it is hurtful for chickens to be touched when the pin feathers come in piercing trough their skin, and they often show this behaviour you described, when, while moving their neck/head these pinfeathers will prick them. So they try to escape the hurt.

Could be a sign of submission or a neurological issue, though if she's never done it before I would guess submission.
I’ve seen her do it before but it was bc my cousin put a necklace on her and ratatouille didn’t like it so that was how she would get it off that’s why I thought something was werid bc she only does it if she’s trying to get something off of her

Please, only bath the butt of your chickens when it is dirty, not just for fun.

They are no ducks and regular bathing will do no good.

As it is molting time, it is hurtful for chickens to be touched when the pin feathers come in piercing trough their skin, and they often show this behaviour you described, when, while moving their neck/head these pinfeathers will prick them. So they try to escape the hurt.
Ik that it’s bad for them, I don’t shower them for fun they got like super dirty this time . When I had my other batch of chickens for some reason they never went through a molt

Back
Top Bottom