1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen is "meowing" with each breath -started today --HELP!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bantyshanty, Nov 20, 2010.

1. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    My 6 month old Belgian D'anver pullet was apparently fine this morning, laid her egg, ate some treats,

then at 3 pm today started (symptoms in bold)

making low noises with each inhale/exhale. The inhale sounds like little squeaks, the exhale sounds like a tomcat or stray cat saying mrrowwwww low, like a cat warning meow.
    Or like a fireplace bellows. At times it's followed by a sharp, high pitched cough. Sound is just amplified when you put an ear to her chest.

No rattles, no gurgling. No discharge from ears, nothing apparent in throat and no redness. Appetite is good.

Any guesses?

Any suggestions on what antibiotic to use? I have bird tetracycline for small birds as a general one, and a couple for cocci infections.

Anything better than tetracycline for this type of (wheezing?) cough?

It may be fungal, I know. Food in the feeders in run & coop is hanging up & quite fresh/dry. It did rain for a few days early in the week. the sand in the run is still damp.

I did dust the DE & dander in the coop earlier today, as I do every few days. It made some dust clouds. Could this have made her sound like a fireplace bellows?

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

The dust could have irritated her air sacs. I'd isolate her, get her to a WARM place if she's not already, and watch her closely for any other symptoms. Check for sneezing, nasal discharge, bubbles/foam in one or both eyes, etc. If she were mine, I'd maybe start her on Tylan. I hope she recovers fully.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Since it was so sudden, and there are no other symptoms, I'd bet on the dust (that DE can really get to you) causing throat/lung irritation. I would keep her isolated for the night. I'll bet by morning that she'll be back to normal... [​IMG]

4. bantyshanty

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    Thanks. I put her in a warm room in the old brooder cage an hour ago, turned out the lights, and she went to sleep. In her sleep, her breathing is quiet, no moans or squeaks. Maybe she did have irritated air sacs. In the morning, I'll start her on tylan if she's still doing it.

5. bantyshanty

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    Update: This morning she was just peachy. She laid another egg, ate & played normally [​IMG]

6. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    whew! Thank goodness![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by