Hen is missing many feathers and back looks infected

lmadeline146

Songster
Jun 6, 2022
For months our 2 roosters have been mating with the hens a lot, so we got saddles for the hens. Majority of them look okay now and regrew their feathers. However, my hen peanut has just gotten worse. Feathers on her wings and tail have started coming off aswell. She keeps her saddle on 24/7 and it looks like shes starting to grow more feathers, but her back looks terrible. I don’t have a recent picture hut the image below is what her back looks like now. It’s also reddish at some times and pale other times and when her back is red it feels warmer. I applied a generous amount of Hen Healer on her back and I hope that helps. We’re adding our chicks as soon as they’re old enough so I’m hoping that will help keep the roosters off of her as often :(

Attachments

• 8C33AEB9-43DE-4CB4-B9F7-02DB552D463C.jpeg
    8C33AEB9-43DE-4CB4-B9F7-02DB552D463C.jpeg
    379.1 KB · Views: 72
Hens who lose a lot of their back feathers from over
mating, will many times not grow them back until the next big molt. So the hen saddle can help them not get sunburned or have more damage. It might be good to separate one or both of the roosters, and rotate one in at a time.

mating, will many times not grow them back until the next big molt. So the hen saddle can help them not get sunburned or have more damage. It might be good to separate one or both of the roosters, and rotate one in at a time.
Okay, thank you for the info. Do you think I should keep putting ointment on the area or just keep checking it?

Do you think the damage shown to the back and the wing nubs near the back is all from mating?

I have a few hens who look very much like this, and I'm wondering if other hens are eating their wing feathers or if the wing damage is mating damage too. I got mine saddles, and those are helping the back somewhat, but now the damage is happening to the wings. My rooster is (was) quite heavy and had very large feet (Production Red).

Do you think the damage shown to the back and the wing nubs near the back is all from mating?

I have a few hens who look very much like this, and I'm wondering if other hens are eating their wing feathers or if the wing damage is mating damage too. I got mine saddles, and those are helping the back somewhat, but now the damage is happening to the wings. My rooster is (was) quite heavy and had very large feet (Production Red).
I’ve never seen my hens pick on each others backs, only at their faces occasionally. I noticed that wing damage comes after the back has already been damaged. Maybe your hens might see the affected area on another hen and peck around it?
The saddles I got don’t have wing protection, but I’ve seen saddles on Amazon that are more durable and have covers for the tops of the hen wings which is what I might get for a few of mine.

I’ve never seen my hens pick on each others backs, only at their faces occasionally. I noticed that wing damage comes after the back has already been damaged. Maybe your hens might see the affected area on another hen and peck around it?
The saddles I got don’t have wing protection, but I’ve seen saddles on Amazon that are more durable and have covers for the tops of the hen wings which is what I might get for a few of mine.
I got the high dollar Australian saddles with wing covers, and promptly lost the wing covers (!!!). So now I have to go find them... But I love those saddles, they are the best! Super durable, adjustable to all sizes of bird, and does their job.

The pink color makes me think of depluming mites, but I would think that the other ones feathers wouldn't have grown back fine if it was that.

Back
Top Bottom